Millermatic 350/350P mig welder

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #1  

Newblue

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA SS
Has anyone here used this welder? I'll be buying a mig and was wondering what the advantage would be of this welder over the MM 251. Both say they will weld 1/2" in a single pass but there is a $1000 difference in the two.

Thanks,
Mike

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #2  
You will probably get some solid answers if you post your question on the Hobart site:

Hobart welding board

This is a very good welding forum...enjoy... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #3  
Not sure what you are going to weld, but here's my take. I tinker with building/repairing farm stuff, so once in awhile I weld 1/2" stuff. 95% of the time though, I'm welding on 3/8" or less.

I have a Lincoln buzz box already and want a mig. Cost wise, I'm going with a Miller 175 and keeping the box. That way, most of my welding and all tacking can be done with the mig.

When I do encounter the thick stuff, I can buzz it. I just can't justify such a big welder for no more than I do.

Your Mileage may vary.

ron

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder
Thanks for the responses guys. The Hobart forum is excellent. As far as what I am welding I want to be able to weld 1/2" with a mig. Just wondering if the extra $1000 is worth it for the MM350 over the MM251. I'll try that question on the Hobart forum.

Mike

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #5  
An even better place to ask is the Miller Motor Sports Ask Andy forum.

Miller Motor Sports forum

However, what are you going to be doing? The 350/350P will give 300a at 60% duty cycle vs 200a at 60% for the MM251.

The 350/350P is push/pull gun ready whereas the 251 is not. If you are going to be using this without a spool gun for aluminum then this is important. The pulse mig option on the 350P is nice too.

Is it worth the extra $1000? Not in my book unless you own a fab shop and will be using these features on a daily basis. The MM251 should do you just fine.

Disclaimer: I have a MM251 and a MM175 (which is for sale along with a 3035 spool gun that will fit a MM210). The MM251 is a sweet machine for the hobbyist and professional that is only going to weld metal and use a TIG for aluminum.

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 350/350P is push/pull gun ready whereas the 251 is not. If you are going to be using this without a spool gun for aluminum then this is important. )</font>

I just had my first experience welding aluminum this past weekend, using a Magnum SG spoolgun with my Lincoln PowerMIG 215. Built some frames out of angle for video backdrop for a friend. Ran 2 lbs of .035 using spray-arc.

While I did ok with the spoolgun some of the welds were in corners and it was a little tight getting in there with the spoolgun ...... as well as being a bit more bit awkward than just using the regular mig gun .... having a push/pull setup would be nice.

Of course, if ya got a TIG .....

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #8  
Sent you a PM.

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #9  
deja vu, I stopped by a friends house after work to pick up some hydraulic fluid and he shows me his new toy...MM350P.

Can't say a word about it's performance but I do know where I'll be getting my welding done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Millermatic 350/350P mig welder #10  
I have a Big Lincoln DC-400 with a ln-7 wirefeed. Not the same as what you are talking about but it is 400 amp with a 100% duty cycle. I have had small welders in the past. I can tell you it is very nice to weld and not overload the machine. Ihave 3 feeders for it a Miller XRA push pull, ln7 with .023 and an ln7 with.035. It would be nice to have lager wire from time to time but 75% of my welding is done with the .035. I think I have 120 lbs of the stuff. I run the 33lb spools and evey time I do a project for my uncle he brings me a spool. Now if I can just get some 75/25 shilding gas from him.
John