New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!)

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
As you might have read, I'm building a shower. I'm also finishing off a utility/bath room and will be completing the rest of the basement.

As such, I've drilled holes rerouting plumbing and also wires. I've had to take my drill at a 45 degree angle, start my hole and as the bit goes through, bring my drill perpendicular to the hole. I've NEVER liked doing that and have lusted over getting one of These

Finally got one over this weekend. Oh, and I also needed a 1" bit so I got their "self feed" bit instead of an auger.

The guy tried to sell me something like an 18" auger but I asked just how am I supposed to get the auger bit in between the studs when they're on 16" centers... he FINALLY said "oh yeah...I see" /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Got this puppy and popped some holes in to draw some wires through. Man, that selfeed bit is something. All you got to do is get the tip of it some traction and you can completely let go of the drill as the bit just PULLS its way through the material (I'm not condoning drilling one handed).

This has been one of those exotic "one use" tools that now that I have one, I'm irked with myself for waiting so darn long.

Even if I never use it after this basement finish job, the frustration it will save over my old methods will alone, pay for it's presence.

I even got the 18" (or was it 16"?) extension for the bit...

Ya, I'm looking forward to drilling holes now!

If anyone has a need for something like this and never used one before, lemme tell ya, it's clearly the right tool for the job and I DO wish I'd had it sooner, a lot sooner.

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #2  
Richard,
Congratulations on the new toy, er, uh, I mean tool.

I have used those Milwaukee right angle drills to wire two houses that we have built. Rented both of them. Nothing drills a hole like those bad boys. To me, they are perfectly weighted and balanced for right angle drilling with power to spare. I did find it easier to hold the drill head rather than the handle for horizonatal cuts between studs. However, I was not using the "self feed" bits, just the std 7/8" auger.

Congratulations, be careful and enjoy!

Eddie

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #3  
That is an awesome drill.
The company I use to work for we had five of them and I had borrowed one several items for various things on the farm or at the house.
I bought my own about a year ago after I gad parted with that comany a few years back and yes if you have never used one before, then you use it in a space where a regular drill don't fit so well then you wonder how you ever got by without it.
Hold on tight ot that thing, when they grab I have seen a guy suffer a broken jaw from one just like that while suing a sel-feed bit.

For what it's worth watch out for nails with that sel-feed bit, nails do some hellacious damage to a sel-feed. But if it's not bad a file can usually take care of it pretty well.

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #4  
Milwaukee makes great stuff, don't they!! A while back my 20 yr old Makita 5" grinder died on me, so I replaced it with the Milwaukee 4 1/2" Super Magnum with a 12 AMP MOTOR.
In just a 4 1/2"--- WOW is all I can say. Have fun. Don

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #5  
My father has one of these for drilling frames in trucks for putting on towing and fifth wheel hitches. B*&ch will break your arm if you catch a piece of metal when drilling and you're not ready.

W web page

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #6  
you will find that right angle drill is alot easier to hold onto than a regular drill when drilling stuff like steel with large bits

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #7  
Richard I think you're gonna love your new toy, er I mean tool. I purchased a Milwaukee Hole Hawg (see picture) over 25 years ago. It isn't pretty any more but it's still one of the most rugged tools that I own. That drill will twist your arm off before you can stall it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Mine was used mostly for running electrical through joists to power air conditioning units. That was back in the HVAC days and it got lots of abuse.

Attachments

• 852986-hawg.jpg
    852986-hawg.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 152
   / New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #8  
I purchased my 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum drill about 14 years ago. What an investment! That tool, like the others it seems, will drill through just about anything. As was said, though, you better be ready to hang on if it catches on some metal with a large bit loaded. Now I have to go buy another tool - hadn't picked up the right angle version yet... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I purchased my 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum drill about 14 years ago. What an investment! That tool, like the others it seems, will drill through just about anything. As was said, though, you better be ready to hang on if it catches on some metal with a large bit loaded. Now I have to go buy another tool - hadn't picked up the right angle version yet... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

While installing our grapple and drilling the side plates of the bucket the 1/2" bit caught just as it was going through. As a result it blew the gears out of our 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum drill. Turns out the parts are no longer available for the older drills and not interchangeable with the newer drills.

I was so impressed with the Magnum that I plan on replacing it very soon.

/ New toy! (right angle drill with BITE!) #10  
I bought a Milwaukee Hole Hawg a few years back to do the structured wiring in our new house. Great drill but I too blew out the gears. Turns out it's really only intended for wood which it handles fabulously. I was using it with a masonry bit when I trashed it. Got it repaired but also got the lecture from repair-dude about it's limitations:

<font color="brown"> Wood Only!!! </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif