Question about tires, I know, wrong forum

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum #1  

miltrade

Tractor
JD 4200
I know that this should be in another forum, but I feel like people in here know what they are talking about more than over there.

I got a JD 4200 tractor when I purchased my property in Virginia. The previous owner used it exclusively as a giant lawnmower. Well, the lawn was like cement from years of this guy zipping around on it in a giant tractor. I recently purchased a different mower and now want to use the tractor exclusively for tractor stuff.

Problem is that the tractor has turf tires on it, one of the front ones with a patch job that slowly deflates over the course of weeks and has to be re-filled. The rear tires are liquid-ballasted and I imagine pretty expensive.

I want real tractor tires as I don't get traction with these. I know nothing about buying them and the JD dealer/service center in my area seems no different than an auto dealership, overpriced and ready to gouge you at every turn. What can I expect to pay? Do dealers take in exchange tires (discount the new tires and take my tires)? How do I know which to buy? Thanks.

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum #2  
It'll be pretty expensive to change for a couple of reasons: (1) the tires aren't cheap, and (2) you have to change wheels (rims) also. A dealer might take the old ones in trade, depending on what he has in stock, what he has customers wanting, etc. but I wouldn't count on it. If you buy new wheels just be sure you decide before buying whether you're going to buy R1 tires (agriculture or "real" tractor tires) or R4 tires (industrial tires). You can buy tires lots of places other than the tractor dealer, but if the tractor is a 4WD, be sure you're getting the proper rolling circumference ratio between the front and rear tires.

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum #3  
Also.. If the unit is 4wd, you must keep the same rolling circumference / ratio front to rear when getting tires.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I want real tractor tires )</font>

By the way.. turf tires are 'real' tractor tires.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum
Turf tires may be real, but they give me no "real traction". They slip and slide and don't seem to do a damned thing when I am trying to clear brush, pull logs, etc. etc. Once they get a coat of mud on them, they are completely useless and I might as well be driving around with racing flats. I have no need for turf tires now that I have a good garden tractor/mower.

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum #5  
One quick and dirty solution to give you more traction is to put tire chains on your turf tires -- it's not pretty and it scars pavement, but you get more traction with properly installed chains. Most logging operations I've seen (both here and in Tennessee) run tire chains on their skidders -- even on "real" tractor treads.

/ Question about tires, I know, wrong forum #6  
<font color="red"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> I agree with Big Dan, chains would be the cheapest way to go. Real tractor tread spin easily in muddy areas. You will be surprized how much your traction inproves once the land dries up a little.