Ploughshare tips material: to weld or to drill ??

/ Ploughshare tips material: to weld or to drill ?? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
We have an old 4 furrow one way plough, a Massey Ferguson 160 which is originally a 3+1 furrow 16" plough manufactured by Huard, which is taken over by Kuhn.

It is worn pretty badly and because it doesnt bite into th ground anymore we have bolted off the 4th furrow to be able to plough on difficult ground at 35 cm depth, with our Zetor 5245. Because we have hired another 13 hectare of wheatland, we need a better plough, which are either expensive, or junk.

I can buy Kuhn wear tips which are intended for newer versions of this plough, which have pre drilled holes.
They cost only 12 Euro a piece. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.kuhnsa.com/internet/catalog.nsf/(wMC)/OLD838D2C838ECC5E47C1256D3A0051BF30

I wonder if plough materials are able to be drilled with normal HSS drills to create mounting holes for the ploughshare tip, and:
Can i simply weld a hardened ploughshare tip to my plough, or would the hardened material break from weld heat ?

Any advice appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ploughshare tips material: to weld or to drill ?? #2  
Weld it on. Make sure you are using the right rod for the steel invoved.

Egon

/ Ploughshare tips material: to weld or to drill ??
O.K. but how do i know the right rod ?

p.s. i was thinking of buying some 0,8 mm mangan (?) wire for my mig welder, to weld some wear ridges at the other hi-wear areas of the moldboard.

/ Ploughshare tips material: to weld or to drill ?? #4  
Can't help with the type of rod as I do not weld. Do know that a different rod is required for hardened steel like cutting edges. The hardfacing rod should?? work.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif