Hanging drywall in a pole building

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #21  
Pineridge, what product is used on your ceiling?

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #22  
Stan standard OSB on all the walls, drywall on the ceiling with a knocked down stippled finish. Sure makes it bright out there to work, any time of the day or night.

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #23  
If flexing and fireproofing are concerns, my inclination would be to use something like HardiPanel. It's used for exterior siding and has a surface texture. If you don't like the textured look, turn it around so the flat side is exposed. It's more expensive than sheetrock or OSB, but it may be an easier solution.

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thats good to hear cause there is a flip side to this whole flex issue. The pole building has a fair amount fo flex compared to a house. However once you frame up the inside then screw and glue drywall its much much stiffer. Thats the reason I throw this stuff out there cause my initial thought was screw and glue it. Of course then I have over analyze the dam thing and start second guessing myself. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Paralyzation by analyzation seems applicable to me more often than not. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

)</font>

I would agree with that. After building hundreds of structures over the last 20 years, you'd be amazed to see how much stiffer a building becomes after drywall is glued to the inside walls.

If you finish it yourself, it would be a little cheaper, but not much. A 12' sheet of drywall is pushing $15. If you can get a good deal on some 7/16" OSB, you might do just as well with no finishing required. 8' OSB sheets are easier to hang than 12' rock, too.

The other factor is that you can hang more off the OSB walls versus D-wall.

Sounds like the fire rating issue might be the tail that wags your dog. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building
Thanks everyone for your inputs. So its back to the original plan to glue and screw dry wall.

If it cracks....there is always white duct tape.
Would I need to use the 180mph stuff??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #27  
Duct tape /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hey we once had a customer call us in to Fix his START of a drywall job in his upstairs. he had use MASKING tape @' wide, as what he said his drywall tape must have been BAD as the sticky side wouldn't stick /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif lol anyhow glue is great on the walls, heck most NEW (aka Modern Fly By Night Builders) are not even sheeting the outside of homes fully anymore, only one row of OSB (usually 7/16 or less) on the lower & upper corners, then using FOAM (as in styro foam) to fill in the middle of the homes walls. then say that the drywall has to be glued on every studd to hold the thing together... These Builders also will not pay for 90+ days most of the time screwing the sub-contractors for every peny + interest... these same builders would fire the rough in carpenters if they put more than one nail per studd top/bottom and one nail per hurrican strap to the joists.! I imigine they paied the instectors pretty well cause they sure wouldn't pay the contractors diddly.

anyhow

Glue the boards, (small piles of PL400, ~1/2" dia by 2" or less long globbed up so drywall board sticks well) then Nail permiter off and wait a good hour or so then screw off the venters of the boards, 2 screws about 4" appart . 2 sets per every other vertical studd, if horz studs then about every 2' have a set if tey are on 24" centers...

MARK m

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #28  
Spiker,

Hey thanks for that scathing commentary on "most" builders! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
To think one would "pay off" a building inspector is pretty humorous, too. If you really think that has happened, you should report it because not reporting the fact that a crime has been comitted in your presense makes the observer guilty as well. Would you let a house built with one nail per stud go unreported? What if that house collapsed? How many times have you reported that you've seen one nail per stud or deficient hurricane straps to the authorities?

Also, I don't use foam for sheathing in the middle of partitions since I build with 2x6, but if 2x4 is specified to be used, some 2x4 walls w/ R-13 don't meet the minimum standard for R-value in the home efficiency insulating standards, so foam is used to supplement the batts. Some customers & architects are too cheap to do 2x6 walls with R-19 insulation so foam sheathing is used to boost R value.

I have had the same subs for 15 years, I have loaned them money, paid them in advance, taken them out for meals, helped them get insurance and I'm there for them when they lose a loved one and hired them to do jobs when they were low on money even if the work was on my own house. I've heard lots of subs on other sites grumble about the way builders want things done, then never show up in time, don't do the work as promised or do shoddy workmanship, pee in bushes instead of a potty, and drop the F-bomb like nobody's business in front of customers.

Come on now, most of us are not all the pirate bastards you and Dateline NBC make us out to be! Don't believe everything you hear from disgruntled subs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building
Yea....a few bad ones can go a long way.

A friend of mine has been a framer for a lot of years and started his own business 7-8 years ago. We hired him to frame our house. The drywallers and cabinet maker both commented about how straight and true everything was. The trim person, Me, was happy as well. He builds the more expensive houses most of the time and has people beating down his door. He doesn't advertise, just word of mouth and is making a Very good living.

/ Hanging drywall in a pole building #30  
Yep, there's bad lawyers, doctors, teachers, welders, fabricators, accountants, etc.

Don't get me started about bad subs & customers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, why get into that when the topic is about what type of indoor sheathing to use in a garage?