Culvert Tune Up

/ Culvert Tune Up #1  

tinsnip

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 4120
First, I'd like to say thanks to all the posters here in the TractorByNet forums for the education I've received while reading the discussions. Great stuff. I've just signed for a new tractor (my first)—a JD 4120—and prior to the purchase I spent a lot of time in these discussions and picked up some excellent ideas/tips/explanations. Not the least of which was the great threads on safety. In the process, I've come across this section on projects and wonder if anyone has an idea on how best to fix my problem.

My gravel drive slopes downhill from the house and runs about 900 feet to the town road. The town road intersects with the end of my drive and is also sloped, but in a direction that's 90 degrees from the slope of the drive. The town installed a new culvert 4 years ago and it was fine for a couple of years. But during the past 2 springs, it's been dropping as much as 4 inches during the thaw. Last year, I dropped some fill into the trench the dropping culvert created and that was fine for the summer/fall, but now it's dropped again.

Would adding some rip-rap around the opening on the uphill side of the culvert make any difference? What can I do to make the thing more stable? Technically, it's the town's responsibility, but my calls for help have been completely ignored. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Culvert Tune Up #2  
Can you post a picture of the site? There are lots of choices, you need to find out if the soil is compacting or spreading, or washing away first to determine how to tackle it.

Dave

/ Culvert Tune Up #3  
If the town installed it, can't, or shouldn't they fix it?

/ Culvert Tune Up
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If the town installed it, can't, or shouldn't they fix it? )</font>

Yup, they should fix it, but have not been responsive to my calls.

As for a picture, it's a snotty, rainy day out there today. I'll wait for a better one and try to get a photo to show here.

/ Culvert Tune Up #5  
Welcome to TBN!

As for your culvert, they installed it..... tell them it is an "emergency services" issue. While I hate to pester and proad people to fix their problems and use an excuse to do it, you and your family are at risk. What happens if it washes out and you cannot get to your house?

Plus, even with a tractor, grading to get the right angle and flow to/through the culvert will be an issue. You may/might cause more problems, fixing their problem.

FWIW
-Mike Z.

/ Culvert Tune Up #6  
If you fix it and problems continue, you will liable for fixing the problems.

If they fix it, the liability remains with them.

Take pictures, and then more pictures. Add more fill over the dip, and take pictures of that. This will fix it long enough to be usable. Try to get on the town council agenda, and show them your pictures.

/ Culvert Tune Up #7  
Also send a picture to the local newspaper along with a description of the problem...and a scenario alluding to some kind of worstening destruction because of it. Maybe you'll get a response?

/ Culvert Tune Up
I know you're all right to spend the effort to get those responsible to fix it (as they should), but my little town is just that. Little (pop. 1,200). Newspaper? Uh, no such thing. There is a road commissioner however, and I've served with him on several town boards, including the Planning Commission, all of which adds up to zero when it comes to influence. The first year it happened, I called every week for 4 weeks and then fixed it myself before I put a permanent dent in the roof of my truck cab with my head. I've come to realize that living in a small town has many wonderful things in its favor. Road conditions/maintenance not being one of them.

/ Culvert Tune Up #9  
<font color="blue"> I've come to realize that living in a small town has many wonderful things in its favor. Road conditions/maintenance not being one of them.
</font>

Saturday I got tired of waiting for the town to grade my road so I decided to just do it myself. If I were you, I would just dig up the culvert and fix it correctly. No sense getting upset every time you have to pull out of your driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gary

/ Culvert Tune Up
Yup. That's the plan. Although I could wait and see if it fixes itself. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks everyone.