Running Electric to Pole Barn

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I built a pole barn for storing my toys about 150' from the log cabin on my farm. I didn't originally put electricity in the barn but now have decided I need lights. I have an electrical outlet on the outside of the house. I am thinking about hooking onto that outlet and running underground cable out to the barn and installing light fixtures and outlets. I have some wiring experience but am not an expert by any stretch. Does this sound like a workable and safe idea?

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #2  
A couple years ago I added electricity to my pole barn. I put in one outlet and a pair of overhead double lamp flood fixtures. I ran the power underground from another barn which had its own sub panel. The circuit to the pole barn is on a dedicated breaker out of the sub panel. I ran the power with 12 AWG UF direct bury cable.

I found a relatively easy way to bury the cable. I used a small tiller to break through the upper root layer and then used a 3" shovel to dig a narrow trench. It only took me about 20 minutes to dig a 30' trench.

I would recommend that you find a way to at least put your pole barn on a dedicated breaker.

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn
Would it make sense to run from the outlet on the outside of the house to a sub panel installed in the barn and then from a circuit in the sub panel to the fixtures in the barn?

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #4  
short answer NO.
long answer- is outside outlet ground faulted ? what else is on that circiut? most outside outlets if ground faulted also run the bathroom outlets. Got any daughters? cause they sure get mad when you try and plug in a skill saw and pop the breaker while they have the hair dryer, curling iron, and what the heck ever else they use all on at the same time. (Dont ask me how I know) If you have a way to put a dedicated breaker in the panel box you will be better off.

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Would it make sense to run from the outlet on the outside of the house to a sub panel installed in the barn and then from a circuit in the sub panel to the fixtures in the barn? )</font>

No. Your outside plug in is wired with either 14 or 12 ga wire. These are _not_ big enough for the 150 foot run. The longer the distance, the bigger the wire needs to be. Voltage drop is the enemy.

Even for just a wimpy little 20 amp box in your shed, you need to run #6 wire to the shed.

It is not legal to do this wiring unless you start from a box (main breaker, or a load center) and end in another box (load center) in the shed, with breaker(s) there too.

Frankly, one is a fool if one doesn't run a 60 amp 240v service to a shed. You already need a thick wire, and you need a box on both ends. Might as well do it right, and pull more amps out to there, so you can plug in an air compressor or table saw or something. The 'extra' cost to you to go from 20 amp 120 to 60 amp 240v is upgrading the wire from (2) #6 to (3) #4 wires, and buying a couple larger fuses for in your basement main pannel. _Silly_ not to do so........

Now, if you are starting with a 60 amp fuse box in your house, and no room to add anything to it - I understand, try to get by with what you have...... In any case, you cannot tap into the electric outlet on your house. That will not work, you will not get enough useful power 150 feet away to plug anything in, ignoring the code violations.....

Here is a voltage drop calculator to play with, check out the difference in voltage, amps, distance, and copper vs aluminum. (Use the right grease & clamps if you use aluminum feed wire!!!!!!)

http://www.elec-toolbox.com/calculators/voltdrop.htm

--->Paul

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #6  
Is there anyway to get a seperate service to the barn? My barn is closer to things here, but if you could get a circuit off the pole to the barn, you would be miles ahead of the game. I have 100 amp service, seperate from my house to the barn. I have 220 service for the air compressor, and room to add more if I need it. I also run the pond pump, (30' run in ground) and the small barn, split a 220 circuit, for lights etc in it.

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #7  
I have a 200 amp service to my house. So I ran a 100 amps of the house to the pole barn. I think you will be sorry if you don't run at least 60 amps out there. If you are like me you will be adding more lights and and outlets all the time. I don't think your outside outlet on your house would be enough.

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #8  
<font color="blue"> I have a 200 amp service to my house. So I ran a 100 amps of the house to the pole barn.</font>

I did the same thing as well (100 amps to the shed). The effort is the same, the increased cost for larger wire is minimal. I ran mine in plastic conduit about 18" below grade. Run was about 100' in my case.

Power capacity to the shed is like tractor size...always seem to need ( 0r want) more... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn
Thanks for all the feedback. I am now convinced that my idea was not a good one. I'll do it right and get an expert to do the work. I know just enough to be dangerous.

/ Running Electric to Pole Barn #10  
You certainly can run a wire 150 feet without less than 2 volts in drop. At 120 volts, all appliances can and will operate within a 10% window. In the USA, the NEC requires a 20 amp circuit to use a #12 copper wire. A #10 copper for single circuit would work also but that's overkill for a run 150 ft long run. Most homes have many 150' long runs all throughout when you count home runs back to the main panel, up and down walls, attics, accross basements and around the walls.

For lights and light duty loads power drill, a single circuit will be fine. Place a dedicated GFCI breaker at the feed point to protect the wire underground. An isolated neutral will not be required because this isn't considered a sub panel.

Hook a furrow on the 3 point and make a ditch. Code requires 18" below grade in most areas.