Moving some rocks

/ Moving some rocks #11  
npaden:

nice looking pond, one thing though what about deer or large hooved critters/ they can make that nice pretty liner a mess in no time. first wild hog or steer will sure have hin self a good ole time I bet...

you might want to look for some drilling clay, and make a smaller pverflopw pool using that as the liner that way the walking around of critters won't hurt so bad.

I would say a few nice big ole cat fish would sure like the bugs in there hahaha

markM

/ Moving some rocks
After some setbacks (a 1,500lb rock dropped in the pond ripping several holes in the liner) I have it all back up and running. I still have several more large rocks to place but after the incident with the rock ending up in the pond I am going to take it slow and place them a few at a time.

Here is what the pond looks like right now. It's hard to see but there is a waterfull flowing down over the rocks.

pond_waterfall_5-14-06.jpg

I had a helper and that made a huge difference in getting the rocks placed. It is very time consuming but I think the end result will be worth it.

It is amazing how many birds I have seen around the pond just in the last week since the pond has had water in it.

/ Moving some rocks
After some setbacks (a 1,500lb rock dropped in the pond ripping several holes in the liner) I have it all back up and running. I still have several more large rocks to place but after the incident with the rock ending up in the pond I am going to take it slow and place them a few at a time.

Here is what the pond looks like right now. It's hard to see but there is a waterfull flowing down over the rocks.

pond_waterfall_5-14-06.jpg

I had a helper and that made a huge difference in getting the rocks placed. It is very time consuming but I think the end result will be worth it.

It is amazing how many birds I have seen around the pond just in the last week since the pond has had water in it.

/ Moving some rocks #14  
Looking good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving some rocks #15  
Looking good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving some rocks
Here's the progress from the last week.

I think I have all the rocks set where I want them. I may still put in a few more on the outside edges but all the rocks on the pond edge are officially in place. I'm still going to put a little more gravel down in the shallow areas but I have all the liner covered for now.

Here it was last Sunday:

pond_5-14-06.jpg

And here is a picture from tonight:

pond1_5-21-06.jpg

You can tell that the dogs enjoy the pond:

pond_dogs_5-21-06.jpg

And this picture gives you a decent idea of the size of the rocks I'm dealing with. I tried to keep the smaller ones (1,000lbs or so) around the edge of the pond and some of the ones around the outside are 2,000+ lbs and I could only push or drag them to get them where I wanted, I couldn't lift them.

pond_rocks_5-21-06.jpg

Hope that isn't too many pictures. I felt like I made a decent amount of progress this week, I got to spend about 8 hours on it.

More pictures in this directory if you are interested: http://padens.com/files/pond/

I think it is going to turn out okay with a little landscaping around it.

/ Moving some rocks
Here's the progress from the last week.

I think I have all the rocks set where I want them. I may still put in a few more on the outside edges but all the rocks on the pond edge are officially in place. I'm still going to put a little more gravel down in the shallow areas but I have all the liner covered for now.

Here it was last Sunday:

pond_5-14-06.jpg

And here is a picture from tonight:

pond1_5-21-06.jpg

You can tell that the dogs enjoy the pond:

pond_dogs_5-21-06.jpg

And this picture gives you a decent idea of the size of the rocks I'm dealing with. I tried to keep the smaller ones (1,000lbs or so) around the edge of the pond and some of the ones around the outside are 2,000+ lbs and I could only push or drag them to get them where I wanted, I couldn't lift them.

pond_rocks_5-21-06.jpg

Hope that isn't too many pictures. I felt like I made a decent amount of progress this week, I got to spend about 8 hours on it.

More pictures in this directory if you are interested: http://padens.com/files/pond/

I think it is going to turn out okay with a little landscaping around it.

/ Moving some rocks #18  
Very nice. Is alge a concern? What about having the water turn brackish or stagnant over time? Is there any way to aerate it or keep it fresh?

Thanks for sharing the pics,
Eddie

/ Moving some rocks #19  
Very nice. Is alge a concern? What about having the water turn brackish or stagnant over time? Is there any way to aerate it or keep it fresh?

Thanks for sharing the pics,
Eddie

/ Moving some rocks
Thanks!

I have a 2,000 gph pump running a surface skimmer and that splits off and flows to the waterfall and to another filter. I'm sure I'll have some issues getting everything setup but it should be enough to keep the water fairly clear and clean.

Most of the pictures I've taken are after I've been doing something to stir the water up and make it dirty. When I left it alone with the filters running after a few days it cleared up and you could see the fish in the bottom of the pond. (I added a few 4" koi just for grins)

Here is a picture of the waterfall, I have it split into 2 streams because when it was all flowing in one stream it was more like a fire hose than a stream:

pond_waterfall_5-21-06.jpg

It doesn't look very impressive in that picture but there is a decent amount of water flowing there and it drops about 2' from the top of the rock.

The pond is designed to keep runoff water out and the clean water in. Hopefully it will work that way! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif