Back with more equipment barn questions....

/ Back with more equipment barn questions.... #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I've posted a few questions here related to an equipment barn. The more I look into this the more questions I wind up with.

Let's assume that I am going with a 24'x36' barn with wood siding (probably board & batten) and a concrete floor.

- If I have a pole barn built how would the concrete floor be prepped and poured? Before or after the barn is built?

- If I have 1 split door to get equipment in/out of the barn where would you put it? On one of the long or short walls? Centered or towards the corner?

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

/ Back with more equipment barn questions.... #2  
Rob,

You really need to be more specific than just an equipment barn. Are you going to park you tractor in it? Will you keep implements in there. Do you have any other vehicles, ATV's or lawn mowers to go in there? Wood working or metal working tools and a workbench?

All these things make a difference for best use of your space. Sometimes two doors side by side are allot more practical than one door. Sometimes it's good to center the main door on the end, but if you plan on doing allot of work on vehicles, than putting the main door on the side with a covered overhang makes allot of sense.

Wich brings up overhangs. Will you want a leento on one side or both some time in the future??

There's an old saying that it cost just as much to build an ugly house as a nice one. I think you need more planing, or we need more information from you to give you an inteligent answer.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Back with more equipment barn questions.... #3  
My foundation and floor were poured before the building went up, it made using a scissorlift work like a dream having the concrete. We used the scissorlift to upright the 6 piece panels (quanset hut) which are very flimsy until bolted together. There are 30 of these to make it 60' and 40' wide. I have two sliding doors centered on the ends and I hate them!! I am going to install 20' overhead doors in the near future. I have 10' sliders, 5' slides each way from the center.

/ Back with more equipment barn questions....
Here's the story:
I need the equipment barn for storage only. I don't see it being used as a workshop. Maybe to do some minor work on the tractor.

Right now the property is raw land. I'm storing my stuff at my neighbor's place which adjoins our property. Most of it is under some greenhouse hoops with tarps over them. Some stuff (ATV) is in their basement. I think it's time to get my own storage. Within 5 or 6 years I will be having a house built as well as 36'x36' horse barn (4 stalls, tack room, wash stall, loft). In 7 years we plan to sell our existing house and move there. We don't want to move yet because of the kids' school system, kids' friends, etc..

The things that I will store in the barn are:
Kubota L5030
BH90 backhoe attachment
Bush Hog
Front end loader bucket
Front end loader grapple
(one of them is on the tractor at all times)
Post hole digger
ATV (locked up in neighbor's basement right now)
small utility trailer (for truck)
small utility cart (for ATV)
Walk behind lawnmower

That's about it. I want the equipment barn I build now to look similar to the horse barn we put up later. My wife and I agree on basic styles which is why I am choosing board and batten for this barn.

There are a few reasons why I am going with 24'x36'. I realize the bigger I go the better since barns always get filled up. I do think this size will work and any bigger gets me into a whole different permitting ballgame. Plus I am spending a bunch right now having my pond rebuilt.

I don't think I want an overhang, however, you bring up a good point about leaving the possibility open for later. I also may reconsider since some things (like the FEL bucket) would probably be better stored under an overhang.

Hope this helps. I didn't want to bore anyone with the details but you asked.

/ Back with more equipment barn questions.... #5  
Rob,

Sounds like you have allot of stuff that eats up floor space.

What I woud do first is to lay it all out on the ground one day. Put a rope or hose down to define your demensions and see if you can drive your tractor in and hook up your implements in that amount of space with everything else there.

Don't just put it down on paper because it will be totally different in real life. Actually hook them up and unhook them. I know it will be a pain, but what you learn by doing it will tell you everything you need to know.

I think there should be one door on the end of the building. But it might be that you need to change your demensions and go with two doors on the side. No way for anybody to know this without being there first hand.

As to the board and battton siding. It's a classic design and will work great with a horse barn too. Very nice. But don't do it the traditional metthod. If you need to save a buck, use exterior plywood and PT one inch materiel ripped to 2 inch strips. Even better, look into hardi panals with the wood grain. They you can use the Hardi lap siding riped into 2 inch strips for your battons. If you go the Hardi route, it will be more money up front and a little more work, but it will last your lifetime, it's bug proof, water proof and fire proof!!! From a short distance it looks just like wood and even up close it's pretty darn close.

I wouldn't put any windows in a storage building. Especially since you don't live there.

I would put one walk through man door. A solid 36 inch exterior door without a window.

I'd also try for at least ten foot walls. Might be a little harder depending on how your going to frame it up, but the extra two feet on the walls will be a huge difference in your space. More shelving room and more headroom for the tractor. 8 foot will work, but ten is better. 12 foot puts you into structural issues with wood. You need more bracing and some places require 2x6's for the walls if 12 feet tall.

Have fun,
Eddie