2 quick questions.

/ 2 quick questions. #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi i am putting in some water lines, 1 1/2 black pvc. I was wondering if anyone knew how far away they should be from electrical conduite. also i am going to be picking up some 1x6x16's i have an 8' bed will i have any problems taking them home, or should i have them delivered?
thanks all
forgeblast

/ 2 quick questions. #2  
I don't have an answer for your first question, but in Texas it's illegal to have a load that extends more than 4' behind the vehicle so you could not legally (or safely) haul that lumber with your pickup. I suspect the law's the same in Pennsylvania, but don't know that to be a fact.

/ 2 quick questions. #3  
I usually put a cardboard or rag on the cab then place the boards against it. The other end of the boards are in the bed against the tailgate. Be sure to tie the boards down tight and watch out for low hanging wires or overhead items. BTW 1x6 will snap if it flexes too much so be sure you have enough boards, bundled together that they don't flex to the point of breaking /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

/ 2 quick questions. #4  
I too can not answer your first question, the answer depends on local codes.
The second question: I have a standard size pick-up box and with the tail gate down the 16 footers are just under the 4 foot beyond the truck bed. This is how I have rationalized it in my mind. I have hauled many 2"x6"x16' in my pick-up bed. (I have never seen a cop while doing the hauling so do not know if it is legal)
Another way to do it if you do not have a camper shell and so not mind the wood touching the back of the cab of your truck is to lay the 16 footers over the tail gate and over the cab, sinch them as tightly as possible together with sinch straps and then fasten the whole bundle to the truck. This has worked well for me many times when I had a short bed truck and didn't mind wearing the paint off of the cab and top of the tail gate.
Farwell

/ 2 quick questions. #5  
I'm sure every area has their own rules on the spacing of underground utilities. Here you have to have undesterbed soil between your lines. They are not allowed in the same trench, but there is no distance requirement.

The reasoning has to do with being able to get to one without hitting the other. Just imagine having to dig up your water line if it breaks and hitting your electrical line with the trench full of water.

An undesterbed barrier has a certain level, or ability, to retain water if it breaks.

Why are you using black poly? That's a huge line your running and that stuff is prone to break allot more frequently than Schedule 40 pipe. The water companies around here used it years ago, but realized it was a huge mistake and don't anymore. They have to keep a crew on the road 24/7 repairing breaks in the line. When it happenend to me at a house I used to own, they told me they had already repaired several that day and had more to do!!!

You can only hang 4ft off the back of a truck bed or trailer, and you need a red flag when your that far out. How much material are you buying? For small quantities, I've tied stuff to the top of my cab, or with 20 ft lengths of PVC pipe, I've tied them to my mirror on the side if I only needed one or two pieces.

Of course, now I have a 16ft trailer, so it's all taken care of with that. If you don't have a trailer and are buying a bunch of lumber, I'd have it delivered.

When I bought the metal for my roof, I had one length that needed to be 32 ft long. Cost $75 for delivery, which I thought was a bargain. They brought all the material and had a forklift to put it exactly where I wanted it.

My lumber yard will diliver for free if I spend $500. Have you checked to see at what point delivery is included? It doesn't take much to get up to $500.

Eddie

/ 2 quick questions. #6  
No help on your first question.

Check with the place you're buying the boards from, maybe they know about the legal issue. Most places supply a red flag to tape to the end. I assume you are talking about fence boards. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, put a tie down strap on them and a red flag. I didnt have far to go or very many boards. I would suggest also tieing down the front end of the boards, or putting something on the front to keep that end down. Otherwise, when you hit a bump the boards will bounce up and down, and you could loose them.

/ 2 quick questions.
Thanks guys.
The boards are for my fence im installing this friday, 250 ft of 3 rail fence, with four gates. I am not sure if i will be able to afford all the rails at once, so i just wanted to make sure how to haul them in small loads. (ill have to ask them about the free delivery, one place near me does, but thier lumber is 50% more then the big box stores.
the other project the water line, is for a summer only type hook up that will be drained every winter. I had the pipe and when i did my drainage i just ran some in the same trench. We are going to build an out door grove, cook out place and i wanted a faucet near the place. The electrical will be coming from our barn, and then will be about 10 feet away from each other at all times. I wasnt going to put them i the same trench. all in all its going to be a busy weekend.
thanks for the help, i will have to grab some cardboard from work to put the boards in the cab.
thanks again .

/ 2 quick questions. #8  
I bought a nice rack for my pickup, it's kind of a ladder rack, sits on one side of the bed. You bolt a couple of brackets on the bed, then just pull two pins to remove the rack when you don't want it on the truck. I've hauled 24ft metal on it.

weekender1.jpg

/ 2 quick questions. #9  
You might check into price of a full bundle of boards, and cost of delivery. Sounds like you may be needing at least one bundle (dont recall exact number of boards in a bundle). I say this because getting a few at a time is time consuming. The fence job goes a lot quicker if you have all the boards there waiting for you. Assuming you're putting up oak fence boards, I would be very hesitant on using the bed racks pictured above. The boards are very heavy, and not real stiff, they flex and bounce a lot. I suggest either getting a bundle delivered, or borrowing a trailer and picking up a bundle (or as many as you think you will need, plus a few extras, you'll need them). Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2 quick questions.
The boards are pt, not oak, i have a no climb fence to put first and then the pt boards will go on top to add strength and to make it look nice. plus its what the wife wants and you know how that goes. This way the dogs will all be in one area, and the neighbors dogs wont be able to bite them anymore.
How much does a rack like that cost for your truck.
ill ask at the place how much a bundle cost. i just hate to have to return pieces because of twisted and beat up pieces of wood, i like to pick and choose my pieces.
later