Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for?

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
My riding mower has no reverse gear /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Fortunately, I have some slopes & hills so I can just head up them and coast backwards enough to turn around /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

All this annoyance is causing me to look into buying a new mower and if I DO buy said new mower, I'll have this one with just over 100 hours on the clock /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Engine runs like a top (Kohler Command 20 HP). Front wheels have fallen off three times as the "C" clip that holds them on has fallen off /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I've replaced the spindles on the deck... bottom line, the mower body is causing me more grief than the Kohler engine.

So, if I buy a new mower, this one won't be worth much to a new buyer...therefore, I thought about keeping the engine and trashing the body.

So, if you have a vertical shaft, Kohler Command 20 hp engine with 100 hours on it, what would you do?

First that comes to mind is make (or pay someone to fabricate) a gnarley wood splitter. I'd presume 20 hp is enough?

After that, I admit, my mind stops. The sad part is, I dont have a fireplace and LITTLE use for a woodsplitter. My Uncle in law next door though, has a splitter, but it's probably considered small (I dont know a whole lot about them).

So, if you had the engine, what would YOU do?

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #2  
Rip offf the mower deck, fix the wheels and make it a sort of go kart or garden trailer puller. If it steers, has brakes and go's forward ---------- Ride it!!!!

Kids love-em!

jw5875

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #3  
20HP is about 3 times what you'd need for even a pretty big splitter.

How about a GO-Kart!

Horizontal shaft would be easier, but 20HP would make a great 10KW gen-set (perhaps 5KW continuous).

Find a new mower with similar mounting - spare engine. Perhaps you can find a great mower with a blown engine?

How about a brush cutter (one of those two wheel push type ones)?

Any belt driven or PTO driven device could use it with the proper gearing:

Lawn waste chipper?

Cement mixer?

Gas guzzling noise maker! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #4  
Just something else to prompt thinking...

With a right-angle drive from Surplus Center and a couple of belts, you can change the vertical shaft orientation to horizontal, or vice versa...

So, you could then power a sizeable generator, brush chipper, etc.

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #5  
No matter what you make with it, there's a considerable amount of work involved in making it work, not to mention expeses.

I'd sell the engine seperately and use the money from the sale towards what you really want.

If you figure in your time and buying all the parts you will need, it's hard to make some things for what you can buy them already finished.

Not to mention that you already need the tools for metal fabricating. Do you have these?

Have fun,
Eddie

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you figure in your time and buying all the parts you will need, it's hard to make some things for what you can buy them already finished.

Not to mention that you already need the tools for metal fabricating. Do you have these?
)</font>

Hadn't thought of some kind of genset. I spose it woudn't have enough oomph for the house.

As for the voice of reason... good points! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #7  
Unless your need a good excuse to buy some tools /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif [or already have them], the fabrication expenses is a good point - even then misc expenses can add up fast.

As far as powering a house, you wouldn't be powering a 2ton AC, electric dryer, water heater, and oven all at once, but that 20HP Command on a decent genhead should run circles around any of the 7.5KW [maybe even 10K] big box store units.

/ Might have spare Kohler engine, what to use for? #8  
How about a "real" high pressure washer? I don't know if the pressure pumps will run vertically. A 20 horse vertical engine really isn't conducive to that many applications so as many before me, try to make use of what you already have with the tractor frame or a replacement tractor without an engine. Clyde