How are steel prices in your area?

/ How are steel prices in your area? #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
I thought I would ask the question and listen to your replie's as for me I was a little shocked.It's been a while since I purchased any new steel' I needed a piece of 1/8 inch diamond plate 27"X92"sheared to size for a project the cost $84.00.I have bought from this shop in the past with no problems.The last I purchased diamond about a year ago a 4'X8' sheet of 3/16 was less.Almost afraid to go get angle and flat bar I need yet.Any one else notice the large increase or is it just here in central Pa?

/ How are steel prices in your area? #2  
The price of steel has been so high in my area of Mid Michigan that farmers are scraping out all of their unused farm equipment. There once was a lot of old combines, corn pickers and other implements that sat rusting away on farmers or former farmers property. Now they are gone. I see pick up trucks over loaded with scrap metal heading for the scrap yards. Michigan's economy is not all that great so the metal may be getting sold to put food on the table.
I have not bought any new metal for a while but have been hearing stories about the cost.
Farwell

/ How are steel prices in your area? #3  
Prices high here also and projected to go higher. I have a good friend who has a tool and die business that also does stamping. Months ago he figured the prices were going to go through the roof and bought as much as they could fit in the shop and more paid for and scheduled for future delivery. He is grinning right now. He also has a stamping contract where the customer supplies the steel and he gets the scrap. More grins. Bigger grins, he lets me raid his scrap dumpster for what ever I can use. I just wish he had angle, channel and diamond plate in there. I can't complain about thick tool steel plate though. Now I just have to practice my welding.

/ How are steel prices in your area? #4  
I just bought a 5"x5"x.125"x20' and four 1-1/2"x3"x/062"x20' that cost me $250 with tax....ouch.

/ How are steel prices in your area?
Same here in Pa. all the old farm scrap is going down the road in pickups and trailer's.Some local stories in newspaper's about guys stealing junk and getting caught.It will not take long till these price's start showing up in new tractor and equipment prices.

/ How are steel prices in your area?
Same here in Pa. all the old farm scrap is going down the road in pickups and trailer's.Some local stories in newspaper's about guys stealing junk and getting caught.It will not take long till these price's start showing up in new tractor and equipment prices.

/ How are steel prices in your area? #7  
Around here?...as my mom would say...high as a cats back.

Best deal now is scrap in good shape. $.25# for angle, etc, $.35# for tubing. Weird stuff varies. Just priced some grating for a friend, $2.19 per sqft.

/ How are steel prices in your area? #8  
Around here?...as my mom would say...high as a cats back.

Best deal now is scrap in good shape. $.25# for angle, etc, $.35# for tubing. Weird stuff varies. Just priced some grating for a friend, $2.19 per sqft.

/ How are steel prices in your area? #9  
I own a metal fab shop here in WNC...prices are thru the roof! Our sheet copper cost has gone up $60 per sheet (3'x10' 16oz) in 2 months...that's more than double what the cost per sheet was 18 months ago! Local scrap yard is paying 2.50 per pound! Vandals are stealing the 3-4' of tubing that runs from the average heat pump, to the house.
Our aluminum and stainless costs went up another 15% last week.
Current stock of .063 galvanized is $8 higher than our .063 aluminum...they blame the galvanized prices on a hydrogen plant that was taken out by the storms in La.
Extrusions...angle, channel, tubing, ect...are even more rediculous!

/ How are steel prices in your area? #10  
I own a metal fab shop here in WNC...prices are thru the roof! Our sheet copper cost has gone up $60 per sheet (3'x10' 16oz) in 2 months...that's more than double what the cost per sheet was 18 months ago! Local scrap yard is paying 2.50 per pound! Vandals are stealing the 3-4' of tubing that runs from the average heat pump, to the house.
Our aluminum and stainless costs went up another 15% last week.
Current stock of .063 galvanized is $8 higher than our .063 aluminum...they blame the galvanized prices on a hydrogen plant that was taken out by the storms in La.
Extrusions...angle, channel, tubing, ect...are even more rediculous!