How to get rid of water with high water table?

/ How to get rid of water with high water table?
I knew not to dump the sump water down the sewer - I actually did it for a little while with the sump down in my basement because there was nowhere else to dump the water during one storm but I knew it was a no- no. I am about 99% sure that the storm drain and sewer systems are separate here - the sewer lines just went in a few years ago and they did not hook up storm drains to them - the storm drains were already in existence before that. I have to think this out a little but I think my best option at this point would be a combination of a leech field - running the pipe to daylight if the grade will support it - and then setting up something as a backup that will pump the water to the storm drain when the water table gets too high. I will check with the town that dump the sump and gutters and such into the storm drain is ok with them. A water feature might be an option but I just dont have much land I can give up for it. This is just a 1/2 acre lot.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #22  
I wasn't suggesting to send it down the sewer system, most treatment plants work to capacity as it is.

I was suggesting to tie into the storm system, should be one available in most suburban areas because houses, roads and parking have decreased the area available for ground water to percolate and that excess water has to be transported somewhere.

In our area, large developments are now required to build detention ponds to allow the runoff an area to settle out some of the silt before it's allowed to continue on to rivers and streams. That's one of the reasons I suggested a pond.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #23  
I wasn't suggesting to send it down the sewer system, most treatment plants work to capacity as it is.

I was suggesting to tie into the storm system, should be one available in most suburban areas because houses, roads and parking have decreased the area available for ground water to percolate and that excess water has to be transported somewhere.

In our area, large developments are now required to build detention ponds to allow the runoff an area to settle out some of the silt before it's allowed to continue on to rivers and streams. That's one of the reasons I suggested a pond.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #24  
Jim,

After reading your posts, are you sure you want to continue to live there? Seems the high water is going to be a forever issue.

I could be wrong, but if the water stays the way it is, you will always have issues with it.

My 2 cents.
ron

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #25  
Jim,

After reading your posts, are you sure you want to continue to live there? Seems the high water is going to be a forever issue.

I could be wrong, but if the water stays the way it is, you will always have issues with it.

My 2 cents.
ron

I have noticed that a lot of newer developments and highway work around here have detention ponds built to hold the runoff. This may be **** of me but what is going on right now is a worst case scenario - I believe we may have already broken the local record for rainfall during the month of May or we are darn close to doing so. I figure this is a good opportunity to devise a system that will take care of any water problems I may run into in the future seeing as how now I know where the problem areas are. I suppose moving might be an option but I know people with much worse water issues than I have now - and frankly I think the only way to know if there are water problems is to live in the house for a while and see what happens. Theoretically I should not have the problems that I do since I am close to being on the highest land around - the houses on either side of me are slightly lower than me - but the water still saturates the soil and does not run off very readily, so the way I figure it is the moving thing is a just shooting the dice, you may end up with a better deal - you might not.

I have noticed that a lot of newer developments and highway work around here have detention ponds built to hold the runoff. This may be **** of me but what is going on right now is a worst case scenario - I believe we may have already broken the local record for rainfall during the month of May or we are darn close to doing so. I figure this is a good opportunity to devise a system that will take care of any water problems I may run into in the future seeing as how now I know where the problem areas are. I suppose moving might be an option but I know people with much worse water issues than I have now - and frankly I think the only way to know if there are water problems is to live in the house for a while and see what happens. Theoretically I should not have the problems that I do since I am close to being on the highest land around - the houses on either side of me are slightly lower than me - but the water still saturates the soil and does not run off very readily, so the way I figure it is the moving thing is a just shooting the dice, you may end up with a better deal - you might not.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #28  
Larry, I know you said storm drain, but lots of places share the storm and sewer drain....not sure what Jim's local situation is.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #29  
Larry, I know you said storm drain, but lots of places share the storm and sewer drain....not sure what Jim's local situation is.

/ How to get rid of water with high water table? #30  
Not to harp on it too much, but our lines are seperate too, but they converge at the processing station where they comingle. Definitley worth checking with the town.

I like the idea of pumping to the sewer drain from a tank if you can do it legally.