Renting BH Any Tips?

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Picking up a big stump and transporting it with the tractor was tricky but possible. Forget it with the excavator; too tipsy with anything but small stuff. This was a compact excavator from Caterpillar, but not by any means a mini. It was over a 7000lb machine. The controls were a pleasure with the joy sticks and the machine was comfortable to operate, a bit more so than the John Deere. )</font>

Your not comparing equal machines here at all.

A 7,000 trackhoe is a toy compared to even a mid sized one. My backhoe weighs 14,000 pounds and like I said earlier, it's fine for taking out stumps, but it will take awhile.

A decent sized trackhoe will do allot better, allot faster. A big one in the 40,000 pound ranch should just pluck them out one after another.

Eddie

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #52  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Picking up a big stump and transporting it with the tractor was tricky but possible. Forget it with the excavator; too tipsy with anything but small stuff. This was a compact excavator from Caterpillar, but not by any means a mini. It was over a 7000lb machine. The controls were a pleasure with the joy sticks and the machine was comfortable to operate, a bit more so than the John Deere. )</font>

Your not comparing equal machines here at all.

A 7,000 trackhoe is a toy compared to even a mid sized one. My backhoe weighs 14,000 pounds and like I said earlier, it's fine for taking out stumps, but it will take awhile.

A decent sized trackhoe will do allot better, allot faster. A big one in the 40,000 pound ranch should just pluck them out one after another.

Eddie

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #53  
Eddie, I couldn't agree more that they weren't equal. The purpose of my post was to point out the differences and strengths of each machine as I perceived them. I might have been doing some assuming, but I didn't get the impression the young man would be renting a 40,000 lb machine. Most rentals in my area for the weekend warrior are of the compact size, even the backhoes. What I did find worth commenting on though was the fact that both machines I used shared the same size hoe, but the backhoe was so much better suited in this comparison for stump removal, and the trackhoe so much better for digging that foundation.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

Thanks Eddie.

Tom

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #54  
Eddie, I couldn't agree more that they weren't equal. The purpose of my post was to point out the differences and strengths of each machine as I perceived them. I might have been doing some assuming, but I didn't get the impression the young man would be renting a 40,000 lb machine. Most rentals in my area for the weekend warrior are of the compact size, even the backhoes. What I did find worth commenting on though was the fact that both machines I used shared the same size hoe, but the backhoe was so much better suited in this comparison for stump removal, and the trackhoe so much better for digging that foundation.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

Thanks Eddie.

Tom

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #55  
Tom,

My experiences are fairly limited as well and I've only ran a few different pieces of equpment other than what I own. I've never ran a trackhoe, so it's just theory on what they do and well they work.

I had no idea about the rental backhoes not beign full sized machines. Didn't even think about it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The rental yards around here have the full sized ones and some medium sized trackhoes, but those are delivered on lowboys. I've seen them, just haven't used one.

The dealers also rent equipment and when I was pricing dozers, found them to be cheaper than the rental companies.

In this thread, if he can find a large trackhoe, he might have a chance to clear allot of his stumps. A small to medium machine might not be strong enough to take them out in one pull. If he's digging around the stump to get it out, he's gonna spend allot of time on each stump. With allot of land to clear it will be cheaper to just buy a machine than rent one and sell it when he's done.

Stumps are **** and I don't envy him and his goal of cleaing five acres of them. I spent a few months with my dads help doing this last fall for my lake site, and we were running a large dozer and my backhoe everyday. We only had a few dozen stumps take out, but hundreds, if not a thousand trees. And it's allot easier and faster to take out a stump with the tree still attached to it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eddie

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #56  
Tom,

My experiences are fairly limited as well and I've only ran a few different pieces of equpment other than what I own. I've never ran a trackhoe, so it's just theory on what they do and well they work.

I had no idea about the rental backhoes not beign full sized machines. Didn't even think about it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The rental yards around here have the full sized ones and some medium sized trackhoes, but those are delivered on lowboys. I've seen them, just haven't used one.

The dealers also rent equipment and when I was pricing dozers, found them to be cheaper than the rental companies.

In this thread, if he can find a large trackhoe, he might have a chance to clear allot of his stumps. A small to medium machine might not be strong enough to take them out in one pull. If he's digging around the stump to get it out, he's gonna spend allot of time on each stump. With allot of land to clear it will be cheaper to just buy a machine than rent one and sell it when he's done.

Stumps are **** and I don't envy him and his goal of cleaing five acres of them. I spent a few months with my dads help doing this last fall for my lake site, and we were running a large dozer and my backhoe everyday. We only had a few dozen stumps take out, but hundreds, if not a thousand trees. And it's allot easier and faster to take out a stump with the tree still attached to it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eddie

/ Renting BH Any Tips?
The machine I have right now is about 27,000 lb's and it pulls them out pretty easy, there have been maybe 20 out of over a thousand that I had to dig on each side and then give it another go but there hasn't been any that I couldn't get out. I ended up digging about 3 acres and averaged about 300 in a 6-7 hour day but that includes my help taking the flag out of the ground before I popped it up. I have two days and around 10 hours left on the machine. I have gotten everything I wanted done including a small pond for the birds, I might end up pulling more stumps but I'm not sure. Anyways thanks for the help guys.

/ Renting BH Any Tips?
The machine I have right now is about 27,000 lb's and it pulls them out pretty easy, there have been maybe 20 out of over a thousand that I had to dig on each side and then give it another go but there hasn't been any that I couldn't get out. I ended up digging about 3 acres and averaged about 300 in a 6-7 hour day but that includes my help taking the flag out of the ground before I popped it up. I have two days and around 10 hours left on the machine. I have gotten everything I wanted done including a small pond for the birds, I might end up pulling more stumps but I'm not sure. Anyways thanks for the help guys.

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #59  
Hey Brandon

Good to hear you got your intended work done and had some fun doing it. If you've got any pics please post em as I'm sure that there are others beside me that would enjoy seeing them.

John

/ Renting BH Any Tips? #60  
Hey Brandon

Good to hear you got your intended work done and had some fun doing it. If you've got any pics please post em as I'm sure that there are others beside me that would enjoy seeing them.

John