Need structural advice for tractor shed.

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I'm looking to build a 3 bay tractor shed for my tractor and implements. It needs to be simple and cheap. I plan on making it out of 6x6 posts. These will be put in the ground on top of some gravel. It will have a simple shed type galvanized roof. I'd like for it to be deep enough to pull the tractor in with my mower on it.

My question is, for this type of construction what kind of a span can I get between any two 6x6 posts? Ideally I'd like to do the whole thing with 8 posts, 4 across the front, 4 across the back.

Any thoughts?

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed.
I'm looking to build a 3 bay tractor shed for my tractor and implements. It needs to be simple and cheap. I plan on making it out of 6x6 posts. These will be put in the ground on top of some gravel. It will have a simple shed type galvanized roof. I'd like for it to be deep enough to pull the tractor in with my mower on it.

My question is, for this type of construction what kind of a span can I get between any two 6x6 posts? Ideally I'd like to do the whole thing with 8 posts, 4 across the front, 4 across the back.

Any thoughts?

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #3  
triple 2 x 10s across the front and back front a notched post top should span 8 feet easily. Run 2 x 10s front to back 16 inches OC onto hangers nailed into the triple 2X. Strap top 16 OC and aply metal roof. Of course, diagonally brace structure and secure well into ground to prevent making a kite.

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #4  
triple 2 x 10s across the front and back front a notched post top should span 8 feet easily. Run 2 x 10s front to back 16 inches OC onto hangers nailed into the triple 2X. Strap top 16 OC and aply metal roof. Of course, diagonally brace structure and secure well into ground to prevent making a kite.

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #5  
Your upright posts are probably not the limiting factor in any reasonable span. The horizontal member you choose to support the span will be the interesting part. I have a 32x40 pole barn made from 6x6 posts. The posts are on 8 foot centers, except for at my 10x10 overhead door, where they are on 10 foot centers. You'll likely need posts on all 4 sides of your building, unless it is appropirately small enough.

You didn't give any dimensions for your building, but you did say you want to 3 bays with enough room in at least one for a tractor with an attached mower. I don't think you'll manage this building with only 8 posts.

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #6  
Your upright posts are probably not the limiting factor in any reasonable span. The horizontal member you choose to support the span will be the interesting part. I have a 32x40 pole barn made from 6x6 posts. The posts are on 8 foot centers, except for at my 10x10 overhead door, where they are on 10 foot centers. You'll likely need posts on all 4 sides of your building, unless it is appropirately small enough.

You didn't give any dimensions for your building, but you did say you want to 3 bays with enough room in at least one for a tractor with an attached mower. I don't think you'll manage this building with only 8 posts.

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #7  
I have used 4x4 post with steel "Z" bar on top then 16ft 2x6 rafters on 4 foot centers.
(Not necessarly to code /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Attachments

• 896307-Dsc00003.jpg
    896307-Dsc00003.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 534
   / Need structural advice for tractor shed. #8  
I have used 4x4 post with steel "Z" bar on top then 16ft 2x6 rafters on 4 foot centers.
(Not necessarly to code /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ Need structural advice for tractor shed. #9  
Have not read other post before mine. My shed in attached to shop. If free standing I would be concerned with lateral movement. Brace well!
I attached my post to concrete pads with angle iron & lag bolts.

Attachments

• 896310-Dsc00005.jpg
    896310-Dsc00005.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 373
   / Need structural advice for tractor shed. #10  
Have not read other post before mine. My shed in attached to shop. If free standing I would be concerned with lateral movement. Brace well!
I attached my post to concrete pads with angle iron & lag bolts.