Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #11  
One load of gravel on a belly dump is around 27 tones give or take. I can get around a hundred feet by ten feet four inches thick with one load.

I'd think three inches would be fine for a storage area. 4 inches is about as thin as you want it for driving. Any thiner, and the rock will shift and move on you.

Eddie

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #12  
One load of gravel on a belly dump is around 27 tones give or take. I can get around a hundred feet by ten feet four inches thick with one load.

I'd think three inches would be fine for a storage area. 4 inches is about as thin as you want it for driving. Any thiner, and the rock will shift and move on you.

Eddie

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #13  
I would definitely put down the barrier inside, but I don't have weeds growing up through my driveway where I have the crushed limestone. It was put down on a gravel drive that did have weeds. The stuff packs like concrete and I have a lot of traffic if that makes a difference.

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #14  
I would definitely put down the barrier inside, but I don't have weeds growing up through my driveway where I have the crushed limestone. It was put down on a gravel drive that did have weeds. The stuff packs like concrete and I have a lot of traffic if that makes a difference.

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #15  
Put down Geotextile fabric.

I used it for our 500' feet of driveway and most of the drive only has 3-4 inches of gravel. In NC I use ABC which is what is used for roadbase. It has gravel from about an inch to the fines. This locks up real tight.

The fabric keeps the the gravel from being pushed into the mud.

Keeping grass/weeds from growing in gravel? Lots of luck. If its not drivin on the green stuff will grow. I think if you want a nice lawn put down gravel and the grass will grow....

I built the driveway with my JD 4700 48HP tractor with a 4n1 bucket and a boxblade. I could keep up with a single truck running the ABC 15-16 tons at a time.

Later,
Dan

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #16  
Put down Geotextile fabric.

I used it for our 500' feet of driveway and most of the drive only has 3-4 inches of gravel. In NC I use ABC which is what is used for roadbase. It has gravel from about an inch to the fines. This locks up real tight.

The fabric keeps the the gravel from being pushed into the mud.

Keeping grass/weeds from growing in gravel? Lots of luck. If its not drivin on the green stuff will grow. I think if you want a nice lawn put down gravel and the grass will grow....

I built the driveway with my JD 4700 48HP tractor with a 4n1 bucket and a boxblade. I could keep up with a single truck running the ABC 15-16 tons at a time.

Later,
Dan

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would definitely put down the barrier inside, but I don't have weeds growing up through my driveway where I have the crushed limestone. It was put down on a gravel drive that did have weeds. The stuff packs like concrete and I have a lot of traffic if that makes a difference. )</font>

Amen!

Inside the building a plastic moisture barrier is the way to go.

The gravel I would get is "crush and run" limestone. it is a mixture of 3/4" all the way down to fine little granuals. It will pack down tight almost like concrete. If you just get 3/4" or 1" stone it will keep moving.

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would definitely put down the barrier inside, but I don't have weeds growing up through my driveway where I have the crushed limestone. It was put down on a gravel drive that did have weeds. The stuff packs like concrete and I have a lot of traffic if that makes a difference. )</font>

Amen!

Inside the building a plastic moisture barrier is the way to go.

The gravel I would get is "crush and run" limestone. it is a mixture of 3/4" all the way down to fine little granuals. It will pack down tight almost like concrete. If you just get 3/4" or 1" stone it will keep moving.

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #19  
In PA we call that "modified" or 2rc (thats the quarry's name for it.)
good luck

/ Spreading gravel this weekend and have a couple ?s #20  
In PA we call that "modified" or 2rc (thats the quarry's name for it.)
good luck