Garden weeds...

/ Garden weeds... #1  

mrcaptainbob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens HT-20
Most everything she planted is growing well. Unfortunately so are the weeds. Tilled it well in the spring. What can we use around veggies to keep the weeds down? Garden is 50 x 70, rather sandy and the uphill side is rather thick with sandstone. Noticed the farm fields around here can go brown in a hurry, then the lime is spread, then the manure is sprayed/spread, 2 wks later the giant 3 wheel sprayer came by, followed two days later with the seeding. How do 'they' do it?? Wish I had farmer's smarts! I know there's crops that are Roundp restistant, but what about other veggies? And how can a non'farm type like us manage to get similar results as the pro's?

/ Garden weeds...
Most everything she planted is growing well. Unfortunately so are the weeds. Tilled it well in the spring. What can we use around veggies to keep the weeds down? Garden is 50 x 70, rather sandy and the uphill side is rather thick with sandstone. Noticed the farm fields around here can go brown in a hurry, then the lime is spread, then the manure is sprayed/spread, 2 wks later the giant 3 wheel sprayer came by, followed two days later with the seeding. How do 'they' do it?? Wish I had farmer's smarts! I know there's crops that are Roundp restistant, but what about other veggies? And how can a non'farm type like us manage to get similar results as the pro's?

/ Garden weeds... #3  
Since us small gardeners plant so many varieties in a small area it's hard to use a herbicide that will work for the whole garden.
I found that using straw, newspaper, or other type of mulch to work best in a vegetables garden.

/ Garden weeds... #4  
Since us small gardeners plant so many varieties in a small area it's hard to use a herbicide that will work for the whole garden.
I found that using straw, newspaper, or other type of mulch to work best in a vegetables garden.

/ Garden weeds... #5  
Spray Roundup on the weeds, and not the crops.

/ Garden weeds... #6  
Spray Roundup on the weeds, and not the crops.

/ Garden weeds... #7  
I sometimes do as Gatorboy suggested. Round-Up doesn't leave a residual in the garden soil. It kills by being absorbed through the leaf of the plant. So if you get it on the weeds without getting it on the veggies you'll do all right. Mulch in direct contact with the plant will keep the weeds at bay at that point.

/ Garden weeds... #8  
I sometimes do as Gatorboy suggested. Round-Up doesn't leave a residual in the garden soil. It kills by being absorbed through the leaf of the plant. So if you get it on the weeds without getting it on the veggies you'll do all right. Mulch in direct contact with the plant will keep the weeds at bay at that point.

/ Garden weeds... #9  
Hoe. Hoe. Hoe. Sounds like a lot of work, it is but it's effective.

/ Garden weeds... #10  
Hoe. Hoe. Hoe. Sounds like a lot of work, it is but it's effective.