Pressure treated question

/ Pressure treated question #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I recently had my pond drained for repairs and will be building a stationary dock before I fill it back up. After looking into it I have decided to use wood for the piers. Probably 6x6's. Is the pressure treated lumber sold at the big box stores suited for this? Or will I need something different? Are there marine grade posts? Where can I get them?

/ Pressure treated question
I recently had my pond drained for repairs and will be building a stationary dock before I fill it back up. After looking into it I have decided to use wood for the piers. Probably 6x6's. Is the pressure treated lumber sold at the big box stores suited for this? Or will I need something different? Are there marine grade posts? Where can I get them?

/ Pressure treated question #3  
I know that marine grade posts exist, but I have no idea where to get them.

15 years ago, when I was building my house, the grade of PT sold by Home Depot was "not suitable for ground contact". If I went to a regular lumberyard they had a grade which was suitable for ground contact, so there used to be a difference.

The chemicals used to pressure treat wood have changed recently, so I don't know if this is still the case.

Go to the big box store of your choice and carefully read the stamp (not the stapled-on tag) on a piece of PT. Write it down, because there is a lot of verbiage in that stamp. Youmay have to look at a few pieces to get it all, because not all of the words come out clearly on every stamp.

Then go to a lumberyard and read a few stamps. This will tell you if there is a difference.

I have never met any clerk at a big box store who knew the truth about the PT they sold, and very few in a lumberyard know it either, but the stamp tells the story.

/ Pressure treated question #4  
I know that marine grade posts exist, but I have no idea where to get them.

15 years ago, when I was building my house, the grade of PT sold by Home Depot was "not suitable for ground contact". If I went to a regular lumberyard they had a grade which was suitable for ground contact, so there used to be a difference.

The chemicals used to pressure treat wood have changed recently, so I don't know if this is still the case.

Go to the big box store of your choice and carefully read the stamp (not the stapled-on tag) on a piece of PT. Write it down, because there is a lot of verbiage in that stamp. Youmay have to look at a few pieces to get it all, because not all of the words come out clearly on every stamp.

Then go to a lumberyard and read a few stamps. This will tell you if there is a difference.

I have never met any clerk at a big box store who knew the truth about the PT they sold, and very few in a lumberyard know it either, but the stamp tells the story.

/ Pressure treated question #5  
RobA - Pressure treated posts should not be placed in a water body. It is illegal in PA and in most states. The preservative will leach into the water. Since your pond is already drained, you could go with masonry or solid concrete. Make sure you re-bar it to tie everything together because ice in the winter can cause you a problem. Other than that, you could use a synthetic (i.e., plastic) post. They are more expensive, but will easily outlast any wood product. That is what I would use.

/ Pressure treated question #6  
RobA - Pressure treated posts should not be placed in a water body. It is illegal in PA and in most states. The preservative will leach into the water. Since your pond is already drained, you could go with masonry or solid concrete. Make sure you re-bar it to tie everything together because ice in the winter can cause you a problem. Other than that, you could use a synthetic (i.e., plastic) post. They are more expensive, but will easily outlast any wood product. That is what I would use.

/ Pressure treated question #7  
You can special order it from most real lumber stores (and probably The Home Despot) but you need to know what you want.

Check out this site:

http://www.wwpinstitute.org/

Lots of good info there.

PB

/ Pressure treated question #8  
You can special order it from most real lumber stores (and probably The Home Despot) but you need to know what you want.

Check out this site:

http://www.wwpinstitute.org/

Lots of good info there.

PB

/ Pressure treated question #9  
Why not consider a cantilever dock or even a floating one for that matter. Both will last longer than one held up with posts.

/ Pressure treated question #10  
Why not consider a cantilever dock or even a floating one for that matter. Both will last longer than one held up with posts.