Process for making pasture out of timberland

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #11  
Nice work !!

I'd suggest seeding a cover crop, mow it a few times a year and come back when the soil has settled and the trash has decomposed... You cant level virgin forest soil because it will settle different than you thought... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #12  
Nice work !!

I'd suggest seeding a cover crop, mow it a few times a year and come back when the soil has settled and the trash has decomposed... You cant level virgin forest soil because it will settle different than you thought... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #13  
Hi Meadowlark,

My experience is probably less than yours, but I'll give you my thoughts just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think that you should do both.

I'd run the blade over your ground and dig down a little to get as many of the sapplings up as possible. Then spread it around working on the shape you like and good drainage.

The top soil and sapplings are good for filling in the holes from the stumps tool

Those post oaks and sweet gums will start growing the day after you leave them alone. Nothing much to stop them from besides mowing a few times a year.

After you spread your top soil around to get the shape you desire, drag with a log or cyclone fence.

By mixing your soils all up, you will have plenty of top soil left to help out the new grass.

That's my aproach /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif,
Eddie

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #14  
Hi Meadowlark,

My experience is probably less than yours, but I'll give you my thoughts just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think that you should do both.

I'd run the blade over your ground and dig down a little to get as many of the sapplings up as possible. Then spread it around working on the shape you like and good drainage.

The top soil and sapplings are good for filling in the holes from the stumps tool

Those post oaks and sweet gums will start growing the day after you leave them alone. Nothing much to stop them from besides mowing a few times a year.

After you spread your top soil around to get the shape you desire, drag with a log or cyclone fence.

By mixing your soils all up, you will have plenty of top soil left to help out the new grass.

That's my aproach /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif,
Eddie

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #15  
I want to build a house up near the large maple on the top of the hill. The clearing is just about 2 acres with another acre or so behind the photographer of the first finished photo.

Here's another photo after logging but before the logger burnt the slash. These piles are huge. The photographer is up near the maple tree looking down into the valley. The fires were amazing.

Attachments

• 897873-ass_006.jpg
    897873-ass_006.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 298
   / Process for making pasture out of timberland #16  
I want to build a house up near the large maple on the top of the hill. The clearing is just about 2 acres with another acre or so behind the photographer of the first finished photo.

Here's another photo after logging but before the logger burnt the slash. These piles are huge. The photographer is up near the maple tree looking down into the valley. The fires were amazing.

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #17  
If you have stumps in the ground a dozer with root rake will be the way to go. Then use the dozer to pull a large disc to finish the process. After this you will have land that can be worked with ordinary equipment.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Process for making pasture out of timberland #18  
If you have stumps in the ground a dozer with root rake will be the way to go. Then use the dozer to pull a large disc to finish the process. After this you will have land that can be worked with ordinary equipment.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif