Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #1  

RoPie

Tractor
Kubota B7100
Having just received a quote of almost $2300 from an electrician, I'm considering doing the wiring and grounding of our new pool myself. I've done a few wiring projects before, but a pool is all new to me.
I know that the each pool panel needs to be grounded, but how do you go about attaching the wire to each panel? Would a simple loop around a self tapping screw in each panel be good enough?
Also, I planned on putting a breaker box in my garage to run all of the new wiring from. What size wire would I need for 100 amp service to the garage? It will be about 90 feet from my main service panel.
The pool is up and half filled, but I can't backfill it and fill it the rest of the way until I have it wired and have an electical inspection done.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions
Having just received a quote of almost $2300 from an electrician, I'm considering doing the wiring and grounding of our new pool myself. I've done a few wiring projects before, but a pool is all new to me.
I know that the each pool panel needs to be grounded, but how do you go about attaching the wire to each panel? Would a simple loop around a self tapping screw in each panel be good enough?
Also, I planned on putting a breaker box in my garage to run all of the new wiring from. What size wire would I need for 100 amp service to the garage? It will be about 90 feet from my main service panel.
The pool is up and half filled, but I can't backfill it and fill it the rest of the way until I have it wired and have an electical inspection done.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #3  
I do 90% of my own wiring but when it comes to pools I would hire a professional, I have heard and read too many horror stories associated with pool wiring.
$2300 sounds a little high. IMHO
Farwell

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #4  
I do 90% of my own wiring but when it comes to pools I would hire a professional, I have heard and read too many horror stories associated with pool wiring.
$2300 sounds a little high. IMHO
Farwell

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #5  
Burning your house down is one thing, but electrocuting your family is another.

Unless you have a clue leave it to the Pros! And no self tapping screws are not approved anymore for grounding per 2005 NEC!

Full time cleaner upper for the DIYS club.

Sparkkky says just because it works does not mean its right!(safe) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #6  
Burning your house down is one thing, but electrocuting your family is another.

Unless you have a clue leave it to the Pros! And no self tapping screws are not approved anymore for grounding per 2005 NEC!

Full time cleaner upper for the DIYS club.

Sparkkky says just because it works does not mean its right!(safe) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #7  
How much of that quote is for material? The price of copper has sky rocketed an electrician friend of mine told me yesterday that a 250' roll of 12-2 is in the $95 price range so if there is a lot of material doing it yourself won't save that much.

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #8  
How much of that quote is for material? The price of copper has sky rocketed an electrician friend of mine told me yesterday that a 250' roll of 12-2 is in the $95 price range so if there is a lot of material doing it yourself won't save that much.

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #9  
Sparkkky just curious to know why self tapper's are not allowed

/ Any electricians?--Inground Pool wiring questions #10  
Sparkkky just curious to know why self tapper's are not allowed