Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #11  
I live over part of a 36 x 60 pole barn and store hay over the rest 5-6 high. 2x12 ledger with 2x8 16"OC. This will be the 23rd year and I have yet to wakeup in a horse stall. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif bcs

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #12  
I live over part of a 36 x 60 pole barn and store hay over the rest 5-6 high. 2x12 ledger with 2x8 16"OC. This will be the 23rd year and I have yet to wakeup in a horse stall. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif bcs

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #13  
Ever hear of spontaneous combustion. Every year in Michigan several barns are destroyed by fire caused by the heat generated by wet hay or grain. Just a thought.
Farwell

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #14  
Ever hear of spontaneous combustion. Every year in Michigan several barns are destroyed by fire caused by the heat generated by wet hay or grain. Just a thought.
Farwell

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn
Um... yeah. It's good and dry before we put it up. Thanks.

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn
Um... yeah. It's good and dry before we put it up. Thanks.

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #17  
I did a similar thing over my tac room. Need some place to store some hay for my llamas. I ended up going with 2x8 but I was tucked into the corner and could go more than 3 bales high and 30 bales max. With the larger area your talking about 2x12 is the way to go. I think I would also look at something other than a plywood deck. Your going to want some ventlation through the hay. I ended up using 2x8 flooring since it was handy and available.

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #18  
I did a similar thing over my tac room. Need some place to store some hay for my llamas. I ended up going with 2x8 but I was tucked into the corner and could go more than 3 bales high and 30 bales max. With the larger area your talking about 2x12 is the way to go. I think I would also look at something other than a plywood deck. Your going to want some ventlation through the hay. I ended up using 2x8 flooring since it was handy and available.

/ Hay loft above horse stalls in a pole barn #19  
Our barn is 36'x72'. One 36'x36' half is post & beam construction setup for three 12'x12' stalls on each side of a 12'x36' aisle down the middle. As it turned out we built 4 stalls, two on each side, a tack room in one of the corner 12'x12' areas, and then used another corner 12'x12' area for an entry door, water hydrant, fuse box, and a staircase up to a loft.

We built a hay loft over the middle aisle. We used doubled 2x12's for the headers (along the side of the aisle), each spanning 12' from posts at the corner of each stall (actually we added smaller posts 4' away for the other side of the. We used 2x12s 16" OC that span 12' across the width of the aisle. The whole thing is very sturdy and works well. These trusses were covered with 3/4" plywood (no rot/moisture problems since hay is dry, and easy to sweep out old hay before new arrives). We load hay through a hay loft door.

By the way, the other half is built with trusses 9' OC spanning the entire width (36'x36') to keep it open for machine storage. There is a full wall separating the two halves of the barn. There is a 12' wide sliding door front, middle, and back of the barn.