Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Default Re: Flat Deck Container as a bridge?

You're right, they usually are twice that long. 20 feet is not very long.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

You're right, they usually are twice that long. 20 feet is not very long.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 204

Sorry for the silence - I'm in Australia so I was probably asleep when this discussion was taking place!

I was thinking of a flat bed container - they are basically a steel deck with detachable ends on which they transport things too wide for a normal shipping container. So it would span from bank to bank of the river like a bridge deck.

It would be used in the same way you might use the railway car flat bed mentioned.

Other option is a flat bed trailer off a large truck.

Interested in anyone thoughts. The banks are too high for a culvert.

Other suggestion from a neighbour was to use the existing timber deck as a platform on which to pour a re-inforced concrete deck/slab. Span would be about 15 feet. Width about 8-10 feet. I guess the biggest load would be around 2 ton. I'm no engineer so don't know what would happen when eventually the old timber bridge underneath rotted away.

Appreciate any thoughts

Mark

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 204

Sorry for the silence - I'm in Australia so I was probably asleep when this discussion was taking place!

I was thinking of a flat bed container - they are basically a steel deck with detachable ends on which they transport things too wide for a normal shipping container. So it would span from bank to bank of the river like a bridge deck.

It would be used in the same way you might use the railway car flat bed mentioned.

Other option is a flat bed trailer off a large truck.

Interested in anyone thoughts. The banks are too high for a culvert.

Other suggestion from a neighbour was to use the existing timber deck as a platform on which to pour a re-inforced concrete deck/slab. Span would be about 15 feet. Width about 8-10 feet. I guess the biggest load would be around 2 ton. I'm no engineer so don't know what would happen when eventually the old timber bridge underneath rotted away.

Appreciate any thoughts

Mark

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Interested in anyone thoughts. The banks are too high for a culvert )</font>

I'm guessing you are not familiar with box culvert. The general contractor I work for has constructed -many- bridges for pedestrian and automotive traffic where the engineer spec'd precast box culver to be laid in sections with a crane, grouted together, and then pour the headwalls in place. It's not an uncommon practice.

Soundguy

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Interested in anyone thoughts. The banks are too high for a culvert )</font>

I'm guessing you are not familiar with box culvert. The general contractor I work for has constructed -many- bridges for pedestrian and automotive traffic where the engineer spec'd precast box culver to be laid in sections with a crane, grouted together, and then pour the headwalls in place. It's not an uncommon practice.

Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota BX1800

There is a golf course where I play that is using flat bed trailers as cart and walking bridges. You would not even know they were trailers unless you hit into the bottom of the creek and saw the underneath, of which I do often.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1800

There is a golf course where I play that is using flat bed trailers as cart and walking bridges. You would not even know they were trailers unless you hit into the bottom of the creek and saw the underneath, of which I do often.

Yup I did it.About 10 years ago after flood took out the old wooden one.Went down to the railroad salvage yard.Hardest part was getting it set in just right,used a cat and a hoe,you had to have been there.I pre built headwalls for support.Later on i poured concrete on the deck as it had 3" of side wall left around the perimeter. (pre-formed) Best bridge I ever owned.heavy,stout and cheap.

Yup I did it.About 10 years ago after flood took out the old wooden one.Went down to the railroad salvage yard.Hardest part was getting it set in just right,used a cat and a hoe,you had to have been there.I pre built headwalls for support.Later on i poured concrete on the deck as it had 3" of side wall left around the perimeter. (pre-formed) Best bridge I ever owned.heavy,stout and cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12