Hay - approximate yield per acre

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I have 22 acres of which I am in the slow process of clearing for a house site and horse pastures. If I chose to clear more and plant with hay in mind how much can I expect to get per acre. I realize it depends on a lot of different factors - type of grass, weather, etc.

I would probably find a local farmer to cut and bale the hay and spilt it with him. I'm not looking for a money maker just a way to lessen how much I would have to buy. We have 2 horses now and don't see having any more than 4 total.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre
I have 22 acres of which I am in the slow process of clearing for a house site and horse pastures. If I chose to clear more and plant with hay in mind how much can I expect to get per acre. I realize it depends on a lot of different factors - type of grass, weather, etc.

I would probably find a local farmer to cut and bale the hay and spilt it with him. I'm not looking for a money maker just a way to lessen how much I would have to buy. We have 2 horses now and don't see having any more than 4 total.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #3  
We get around 100 bales per acre per cutting, three to four cuttings per year. However, we have been told that our field is exceptionally well producing.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #4  
We get around 100 bales per acre per cutting, three to four cuttings per year. However, we have been told that our field is exceptionally well producing.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #5  
Our first cutting last spring yield was 80 square bales per acre. In the fall we ended up w/about 2 round bales per acre. This spring, much drier & we did not get our fertilizer out, our first cut was about 33 square bales per acre. We'll see how the 2nd cut goes. This is all orchard grass by the way - it'll be overseeded this fall to help fill in the bare spots.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #6  
Our first cutting last spring yield was 80 square bales per acre. In the fall we ended up w/about 2 round bales per acre. This spring, much drier & we did not get our fertilizer out, our first cut was about 33 square bales per acre. We'll see how the 2nd cut goes. This is all orchard grass by the way - it'll be overseeded this fall to help fill in the bare spots.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is all orchard grass by the way...)</font>

Good point...the details. Ours is alfalfa and timothy, good coverage, planted about 4 years ago. Wo do small square bales of about 50lbs each (the girls in the barn complain if they are heavier).

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is all orchard grass by the way...)</font>

Good point...the details. Ours is alfalfa and timothy, good coverage, planted about 4 years ago. Wo do small square bales of about 50lbs each (the girls in the barn complain if they are heavier).

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #9  
Your grasses would run to a higher yield than the clumping orchard grass we have. Also bale size is something to consider. Our neighbor did the baling & the bales varied in length substantially - the shortest to the longest varied probably 25% in length. I guess that's why big hay buyers/sellers do it all by the ton....

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #10  
Your grasses would run to a higher yield than the clumping orchard grass we have. Also bale size is something to consider. Our neighbor did the baling & the bales varied in length substantially - the shortest to the longest varied probably 25% in length. I guess that's why big hay buyers/sellers do it all by the ton....