Need help cleaning soffit and gutters.

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #1  

RayH

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
My white aluminum soffit and gutters are stained. They are dark stains shaped like cob webs and water droplets. Nothing seems to take them off. Ive tried two different house and siding washes, simple green, and other household cleaners. Ive scrubbed them with brushes, which helps to lighten the stains but doesnt remove them. Its almost like the paint has been etched of something. Anyone have a miracle stain remover that I could try?

[image]
DSCF0873.jpg
[/image]

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #3  
The linked post was mine and i still cant say enough good things about Jomax.. Mix it up, spray it on, watch the dirt roll off, and then rinse it off.

Walmart/Lowes carry it in gallon ($18) and quart size... I bought a gallon which will make many, many gallons ( you use about 3/4 cup to a gallon), but I got the only jug they had.

You may want to wear some sort of mask, I now have a sinus drainage and sore throaat which could be from breathing in the overspray or from being outside all day yesterday.. I was spraying directly over my head trying to reach my second story gutters so i was in the direct path of run off for quite a while..

good luck.. I hope it works as well for you.

Brian

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #4  
I might be off base here but it looks allot like mildew to me? what about a mildew killer instead of a cleaner for dirt? Looks like mildew to me, treat it as such.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters.
You may be right. Truth is, I dont know what it is. It doesnt come off with cleaners and scrubbing. I used a house, siding and deck cleaner that advertised that it removes mildew. I dont know if you can tell from the picture but it appears in spiderweb shapes as well as water droplet shapes. The one thing that occured to me to use is bleach. Ive been avoiding that because Im not sure what it will do to my vinyl siding when it runs down on it and Im not sure how to protect myself from it. Its impossible to work over your head while standing on a ladder and avoid all the dripping.

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #6  
Try a small spot like it would say on the bottle, Try some chlorine ( Chlorox ) in a spray bottle and protect yourself and wear eye protection and a rain poncho.
What does your neighbors homes look like? they should have this also?
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I might be off base here but it looks allot like mildew to me? what about a mildew killer instead of a cleaner for dirt? Looks like mildew to me, treat it as such.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Jomax, the product in the link, is a mildew killer.... that's what it's designed for...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...kills mold and mildew instantly while removing tough dirt and stains - without damage to the existing finish, or nearby plants or shrubs. And it's economical! One gallon of JOMAX makes enough solution to clean a two story house.)</font>

Product page

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters.
Well I mixed up a gal. of Jomax today and tried it. Stains are still there. It didnt really do anymore than the other house cleaners I tried. It did have the effect of softening the paint on the aluminum soffit. I actually shrubbed some of the paint off with a brush trying to get rid of the stains. The stains didnt go anywhere until the paint was gone I can take my fingernail and scrape soft paint off the soffit. I havent been to see the neighbors yet but I know that most of the homes around me are older and have wood under the eaves and not aluminum. I dont want to but it looks like Im going to have to repaint the soffit if I want to get rid of this stuff. Its obviously not going anywhere.

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The one thing that occured to me to use is bleach. Ive been avoiding that because Im not sure what it will do to my vinyl siding when it runs down on it and Im not sure how to protect myself from it. Its impossible to work over your head while standing on a ladder and avoid all the dripping.)</font>

Jeeze, so what? I spray my house with bleach down all the time. I have white vinyl siding and the north-facing sides get speckled with mildew after a while. I use a garden spot sprayer and fill with ~25% laundry bleach and the rest water. You can easily spray a soffit from a ladder without drenching yourself too bad. Wear old clothes since you are likely going to ruin them - better yet, wear something white /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Pump and spray to your heart's content. If you get overspray on your head, you'll look like Lindsay Lohan (just kidding - laundry bleach doesn't lighten hair). If it is mildew - it will disappear within a minute or two after being sprayed with a bleach solution. After you are all done, spray the area off with a hose and you'll be all set until next year.

Jay

/ Need help cleaning soffit and gutters. #10  
<font color="blue">
I might be off base here but it looks allot like mildew to me? what about a mildew killer instead of a cleaner for dirt? Looks like mildew to me, treat it as such. </font>

Looks like mildew to me also. But Jomax is a house cleaner and mildew killer. Here is a link: Jomax House Cleaner & Mildew Killer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif