Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #1  

GeneD14

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV and an Allis 170, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kubota ZD 1211, Kawasaki Mule 610, 2 Stihl 361's and a Stihl 660 Ported and tuned
When we built our house over ten years ago we used vinyl siding because it was low cost, quick, came in many colors, and we thought it was maint. free. After several years it has faded and gotten chauky. We were considering tearing it all off and re-siding with something like wood or cement siding.
After doing some research we found a way to restore the old vinyl for a small fraction of the cost of new siding. The product that we chose is called Restora. The first step is to use their cleaner on the siding to get the surface ready by removing mildew, dirt, chauky residue, etc...The second step is to brush or spray on the finish. It goes on milky white but dries clear. It also brings back the original color. When we are all done I will post some before and after shots, it is amazing stuff. Here is a link to their website: http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/Exterior/Restora/Restora+LL+Gallon.htm

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding
Here is the good part: I got to use the tractor! Our home is a 2 story so to start our project we used ladders to reach the high areas. It became was a hassle to scrub the siding while standing on a ladder. Up and down a zillion times. So I built a platform that we could stand on then would be lifted up using the tractor and forks. Here is a picture of the platform.

Attachments

• Rightliftplatform.jpg
    Rightliftplatform.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
   / Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #3  
Good Luck with this- hope it works. One concern I would have is that as the siding heats and cools it expands and contracts- will the area that is exposed show? will there be little strips of color at the end of each piece of siding? Have you checked with the manufacture about a warranty? I know that some colors have had problems and you may be able to get replacement product under warranty.

goaliedad said:
Good Luck with this- hope it works. One concern I would have is that as the siding heats and cools it expands and contracts- will the area that is exposed show? will there be little strips of color at the end of each piece of siding? Have you checked with the manufacture about a warranty? I know that some colors have had problems and you may be able to get replacement product under warranty.

Good advise. We have been able to get the finish to go behind the siding lap joint a little by gently pulling out on the top layer. I also noticed that the siding under the lap joint isn't faded so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.
I didn't check the warranty. I figured afer all of these years it was just my tuff luck.
Thanks,

My wife and I have been working on this as a team and it seems to be going pretty fast. While I was at work one nice sunny day; my wife decided to go out and do some more work on the siding and enlist the help of one of our teenage daughters. My wife got the tractor out and raised the platform up as high as it would go. She then climbed the ladder up to the platform. Then my daughter climbed up to help. When she stepped off the top rung she accidentally pushed the ladder away and it fell over on the ground. They realized that they had no way down and no one was at home. They began laughing at how crazy this must look. Luckily my wife had her cell phone and started calling neighbors until she found one that was home and could come to the rescue. No one was hurt and a small lesson on safety was learned. We have also had alot of laughs telling friends and relatives what happened.
Who would have thought that cleaning siding provide this much entertainment value?

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #6  
Ouch, Restora may do a good job, but I thought the main purpose of the vinyl siding was to prevent a need for painting in the future.

Bird said:
Ouch, Restora may do a good job, but I thought the main purpose of the vinyl siding was to prevent a need for painting in the future.

I agree 100%. When we had it put on our house I wasn't told that the color would fade. My guess is that most vinyl siding is white so it won't fade, it just gets chaulky.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #8  
Hi Gene,
Im starting to realize why people use white siding :)

Of course that wouldnt be me, I stain everything red :confused: the worst possible color for fading:( At 55 Im no smarter than I was at 5 :)

Good luck with the restore :)

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #9  
GeneD14 said:
I agree 100%. When we had it put on our house I wasn't told that the color would fade. My guess is that most vinyl siding is white so it won't fade, it just gets chaulky.

I have white vinyl siding but it still lacks luster. Would you suggest using this on white?
PJ

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #10  
Vinyl siding comes in many different grades. Most will fade over time. Some offer a 70 year or even a lifetime warranty. Those, of course, are the most expensive. I put on my own siding last year and since I saved a heck of a lot of money doing it myself, I bought one with a 70 year warranty against fading or breaking. For anyone who does decide to change their siding I recommend buying the best siding you can.

There are also special cleaners you can buy that would help white siding that is looking dingy.

I'm not sure yet if it is on the market but I have a chemist friend who works for Sherwin Williams who has developed a paint for vinyl siding. That will be a great option for people who are not happy with how their siding is looking these days but who don't want to go through the trouble of tearing it all off and putting on new siding.

Keep us posted on how your restorer is working.