New Well House Plans Wanted

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #1  

Jim57

Veteran Member
Tractor
Shibaura SD2200 4X4
I need to build a new well house to protect the well system I installed. I could use some ideals since my budget will not allow the lighthouse I wanted to build.

Do any of you have plans or ideals and suggestions for a well house?

I think it should be insulated and maybe a light installed to make sure there is some sort of heat source to prevent freezing in the winter. In SC we son't have many sub-zero temps, but occasionally we do. Any help here to protect our investment would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #2  
Jim.....how about some dimensions to work with. I studied under the great Rube Goldberg and have tons of ideas but need some additional info.

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #4  
Jim, at Lowes they have a "thermo-cube" just plug it into a 120V outlet then plug your heatlamp into it. turns your light on at 38* and off at 50*. I think they cost around $10.
TOM

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #5  
If it's cheap you want use some straw bales covered with plastic and tarps.

/ New Well House Plans Wanted
Cowboyjg said:
Jim.....how about some dimensions to work with. I studied under the great Rube Goldberg and have tons of ideas but need some additional info.

At the smallest 6 ft X 6 ft and probably 8 ft X 8 ft so as not to waste valuable lumber. I was hoping to build a shed that could be converted into a lighthouse later. The top has to be removable so we can do maintenance as needed. Maybe I could use it as a tool shed for the garden tools.

I'm guessing that a 4" or 6" slab will be ok. It power and water lines must be accessible just in case we need to repair or replace them.

Jim

Egon said:
If it's cheap you want use some straw bales covered with plastic and tarps.

Interesting... even if straw is about $2 or $3 a bale here... Could be a quick temp fix. As for the tarps... we have a place that a 6x6 or 8x8 fairly cheap. It's called Tri-Star Imports here.

If I remember we use to build forts our od straw and/or hay in the winter time when we visted my grandparents. It seemed to be warmer inside them than outside. They lived in Virginia and it was cold there.. sure was nice to get out of the wind.

Thanks for the memory lane trip as well. :)

Jim

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #8  
Jim57 said:
I need to build a new well house to protect the well system I installed. I could use some ideals since my budget will not allow the lighthouse I wanted to build.

Do any of you have plans or ideals and suggestions for a well house?

I think it should be insulated and maybe a light installed to make sure there is some sort of heat source to prevent freezing in the winter. In SC we son't have many sub-zero temps, but occasionally we do. Any help here to protect our investment would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Why a well house? They are pretty much passe with submersible pumps. The pressure tank doesn't take much space and can go in any insulated area. That puts the tank and pump controller were they can be easily maintained. To put it mildly, working on pumps/tanks/controllers in a pit is a major PITA.

Harry K

/ New Well House Plans Wanted #9  
Jim, in a much more fridgid climates many water injection well heads that had no power source were covered with a fiberglass shell filled with staw. Aside from mice they did well.

turnkey4099 said:
Why a well house? They are pretty much passe with submersible pumps. The pressure tank doesn't take much space and can go in any insulated area. That puts the tank and pump controller were they can be easily maintained. To put it mildly, working on pumps/tanks/controllers in a pit is a major PITA.

Harry K

The walls can also be made removable for better and easier access. Or atleast two walls. With the roof and atleast two walls removable... maintenance should be easy.

Jim