Fieldstone Walkway

/ Fieldstone Walkway #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Hi,
Anyone put in a fieldstone walkway?

I was thinking about putting down a crush base to get shape and slope that I need, then use a dry mix of sand and cement (2 inch layer) then set the field stones on the dry mix. Once all the stones are set in place I would fill in the gaps with more dry mix then wet everything down with a light mist to keep from washing away any cement.

I have a small cement mixer and was planning to use wet cement to do this walk, but I don't think I can work fast enough to get the stones in place before the cement sets up.

Looking for opinions, experience, mix ratio, best way to buy cement (bulk, bag), what kind of sand, etc...

I promise to post updates of the project and some pics once I get around to this project (later this summer).

Thanks,
Doug

/ Fieldstone Walkway #2  
i've put in quite a few fieldstone walkways.. but i've never done anything other than use on-site dirt/sand. the key is creating the hole to match the contour of the rock (unless your darn lucky to have absolutely flat fieldstone).

none of my stones flex or give after a few rains.

here's my process:

- gather stones (the flatter the better)
- position stones where you want them
- dig holes in the shape of the stone (VERY important to contour the soil in teh shape of the stone)
- the hole should match the stone. in other words, the rock may be wider at one end; dig the hole deeper at that point so the rock stays flush
- once the stone is set, use sod or grass seed (clover works best) to pack in the edges. in addition, use your fingers to get under the stone to find gaps. once you find a gap, use your fingers to push soil into them. fill in as many as you can.
- add water. DAILY. it helps to set the stones.

this is the method i've used, and it works. i have one walkway leading to the house (~100+ feet) and none of the stones give.. and it's been in there for over 7 years.

good luck.

pf

/ Fieldstone Walkway #3  
My wife does these pretty regularly.

www.awomanstouch.net

We do crusher run base, well compacted, then gravel sand (very finely crushed gravel) because the ant's do not like it as much as sand, then we fill the gaps with mortar or sand or gravel sand (pave tech also makes some sand glue's)

Hand work intensive, chisel to fit, or take your time selecting the stones, the more even you can hold the gaps, the better the end result. Depending on the stone you are using, a good waterbased sealer (we use Porter Paints version) will help eliminate spalting problems.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

/ Fieldstone Walkway #4  
I have put in a couple around the house. I do not claim they are going to make it into Better Homes and garden but they dry way is the way to go. Trying to use wet cement/mortar is very difficult unless you are skilled at it. I have actually had very good results useing small 1/4 -3/8 size gravel as a bese and then filling the gaps with the same stuff.

/ Fieldstone Walkway #6  
Hi Rox,

I've done a few.

First I dig out the topsoil about four inches is the flagstone is two inches thick. I want two inches of sand under my stones, so if yours are thicker, just dig down deeper. The sand conforms to the bottom of the stone real nice.

I level the stone with a level. Each stone is checked for level as I put them down. Sometimes they need adjusting. I always try to push them down if I can when they are too high, but if that doesn't work, than I take it out and remove some sand. Smooth and replace the stone.

When you get a stone that doesn't fit with any others, use a masonary blade in a circular saw and score the underside of the stone. just cut a straight groove into the stone where you want it to break. Then break it off. On the side you see, it will look natural.

After all the stones are in place, you can fill in the gaps a few different ways. Type N mortor works good. Just mix it up and smooth it out as you put it down. This always cracks in time, but looks pretty good and it keeps the water out.

You can fill the gaps with sand or small rocks. Both will move and come out over time, but it looks real nice.

My personal favorite is to fill in the gaps with the top soil you removed. Plant moss, angle tears or grass and let it grow. To me, this is a classic, timeless look that I really like.

Eddie

/ Fieldstone Walkway #7  
Another method:

Prepare the base the same as you would for a regular concrete walkway and use edge forms.
Fit the stone to the pattern you desire.
Remove stone and pour a small batch of concrete and place stones in it flush with the concrete.
Repeat procedure till finished. Make sure there is at least 3 inches of concrete under the stones.

You may seal the top of the stones prior to the work so the concrete does not stick to them. You can leave the concrete flush with the stones or remove some from groves and later fill with a grout and seal. You may also add colouring agent to the concrete mix. :)

Last edited:
   / Fieldstone Walkway #8  
psuedofarmer said:
i've put in quite a few fieldstone walkways.. but i've never done anything other than use on-site dirt/sand. the key is creating the hole to match the contour of the rock (unless your darn lucky to have absolutely flat fieldstone).
I've only put in one path but I did it the same way. I used some nice smooth bluestone, set it down over a sand base that was layed right over the dirt. I did my best to dig out a couple inches of dirt and make the area fairly level. Layed in the sand and then put down the stones. I'm not sure if mixing concrete would be a very good idea as it could end up too thin and end up cracking to a far greater propensity than a concrete sidewalk.

/ Fieldstone Walkway #9  
Psfarmer,

Same here. I like to install the walk so you can mow right over the hole thing. Key is to start with the path way flat and gental slopes if your on a slight grade. Steps otherwise. I lay out the stones with plenty of room between them, 4-6". then use a 4' 2x4 as a straight edge and start seting them in. Don't over-dig. Dig the profile shape depth that looks right. drop the stone in, then adjust. Don't distrube the sob around each stone, place spoils aside. Wet it down or after a rain, take a 5' 4x4 (as a vertical slede hammer!) and tap them even closer to perfect. When your done they are solid, you can mow over them and they look as if they were there for 30 years. If you don't like the sod effect to much, a thin layer of pea-gravel between stone works good. If you make the gravel to deep, it just moves to much.

/ Fieldstone Walkway #10  
I don't know if anyone else would do it the way I did the last time or not. I just made a bed of sand, placed the stone and then filled the cracks with more sand. It has held up well for about 4 years.