Evaporation rate

/ Evaporation rate #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
Anyone know what a general ballpark evaporation rate is for a pond in Texas (presumably as a function of temperature). In other words in the 90-100 degree range, is it X gallons per square foot per hour, and at 80-90 degree range, Y gallons/sq.ft./hr, etc. ?

I realize this is a function of many other variables- wind, humidity, etc., but what are some <general> ranges ?

Farmer Bob

/ Evaporation rate #2  
Farmer Bob,

Search TBN for a similar discussion. Someone just asked this with in the last month or two. Sorry but I don't remember where this was discussed nor the answer but the topic did just bubble up.

Later,
Dan

/ Evaporation rate #3  
I remember the conclusion was - based on a scientific research - the evaporation depends mainly on the direct sun hitting the water.

Do a search, it is somewhere around here.

/ Evaporation rate #4  
Generally you should be looking at between 1/2" and 1" a day during hot dry days in the Texas sun.

One unscientific but fairly accurate and easy way to test would be to put a water tight bucket next to the pond and see how much it evaporates.

One other factor is how much plant life there is in the pond. Plants can use a lot of water.