Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price?

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I've been looking into getting a pole barn built mainly for tractor storage. For various reasons I've settled on a 24'x48' barn with a loft area for light storage. The style will be board and batton with a metal roof. The barn will pretty much be the same design as in the attached picture (without stalls or exterior stall doors). Features will be:

- 24'x48'
- 10' foot walls
- 8' overhang
- metal roof
- concrete slab w/ fibermesh and rebar
- 2 dormer windows
- 2 split sliding doors
- 2 loft doors
- pedestrian door
- gutters, roof insulation etc.

I talked with several barn builders and got some prices. Then my excavating contractor gave me the name of an Amish barn builder. His quote was the best but only by a few $1,000. His price was $39,750. That's about $34.50 per square foot.

Given what I am getting does the price sound reasonable? Keep in mind I live in the northeast about 40 miles outside of Philadelphia.

Attachments

• barn5.jpg
    barn5.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13,782
Last edited:
   / Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #2  
That sounds too good to be true! If you get it for that price post some pictures. I just priced a 38x60 steel building, no loft, ~$70k, not nearly as nice as the pic you posted.

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #3  
I just completed turnkey construction on the following:

40X60 ft weld up metal building, no internal supports
metal siding and roof, 26 ga
6 skylights
continuous low profile ridge roof vent
efoil insulation on roof and all sides
14' wide x12' high roll up metal noninsulated door on one end, manual rollup
16'wise 'x 12''roll up metal noninsulated door on other end, manual rollup
2 walk insulateddoors, half glass panel, 4'x7'
1 walk insulated door, half glass panel 3'x 7
concrete slab floor with water, electrical and septic stubbed in. No special grade work, slope of about 1.5' from one end to the other.

extra concrete work to install 2 concrete wheelchair ramps to front and back of house

extra concrete work to create 4' deep concrete base for metal antenna and install the antenna anchor bolts.

31'X30'carport, metal roof 26ga, 4 supports, between house and building

I will install electrical service, water. Roll up doors and walk doors were "seconds" but I see no blemishes.

I worked cooperatively with contractor, didn't pressure him, his team worked VERY carefully, I was impressed. I believe I got a quality job.

I didn't go with absolutely lowest bidder, but with the contractor that I felt comfortable with, was flexible, and believe he saved me $$ in long run with his advice in various ways.

$42,300 total cost. All in all, I'm happy and there's not enough time in the day to get it set up the way I want... but I'm using lots of hours trying to do it:eek:

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #4  
John I'm curious with your efoil insulation on roof and all sides on a sunny day can you feel the heat radiating off the metal on the roof when you're standing in the building?

Sounds like you have a great building.

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #5  
Looks really nice, the loft makes the price go up I suspect.
I got a price quote around $13,000 for a regular 30x40x10 pole building, no loft and no concrete floor, all metal. 30x40x12 was around $17,000. Both sizes included 2 overhead doors, 3' door, installed on my level area.
check out www.pioneerpolebuildings.com, they build in your area, and mine, and are very reasonable.
I decided to build myself, and am building a 30x48x12, so far am around $10,000 in material.

Attachments

• barn1.jpg
    barn1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8,978
   / Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #6  
I just completed a 30x40x10 pole garage with the following
1 - 10x9 garage door (insulated)
1 - 12x9 garage door ( insulated)
2 - entry doors
Wainscoting all around
1' overhangs all around
bubble insulation including the roof ( Tekfoil)

I paid $15,000 including labor to put it up.
I have not poured the floor yet but the quote for that is $1,800
So completely done I will have $16,800 in it.
I looked around at Every pole building dealer (including Pioneer) and believe it or not I got the best deal at a lumber/truss company. It is the exact same poles, metal screw,s and overlall specs as a Morton building that woulod have cost me $35,000.
Pioneer was going to be my choice but then I found the place I bought mine from.

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #7  
RobA said:
Features will be:

- 24'x48'
- 10' foot walls His price was $39,750. That's about $34.50 per square foot.

Given what I am getting does the price sound reasonable? Keep in mind I live in the northeast about 40 miles outside of Philadelphia.

I'll put my 2 cents in. I just ordered (signed the contract) for a 30' X 11' X 45' all metal pole building from Morton Buildings out of Gettysburg, PA. It will have two side windows, optional cupola, and a 9' X 16' insulated roll up garage door on one end. No concrete, insulation, ceiling, electric, etc. I'' take care of that later. $25,450.00. I know Morton is higher than other buildings but this will be my second Morton building and I absolutely love their quality.

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price?
I just rechecked my numbers. The Amish quote is about $5k less (12%) than the others.

I know I can get get better pricing by going w/ all metal. And I know the loft area and dormer windows are adding cost. I'm not so worried about getting the most economical barn but more concened that I am getting a fair price. This barn will match the style of the horse barn I will have built in a few years. All part of the plan for when we move to the property in 6 years or so.

/ Pole barn costs - got some quotes. Fair price? #9  
PineRidge, let me answer your question this way... come back if still unclear.
these hot 100 degree days the outside side metal is very hot...not something you want to hold on to for a long time. You can put your hand on the efoil on the inside wall and, yes, it feels a little warm, but not unbearable. I raise/open the doors and whatever breeze there is blows thru.... one can certainly work inside the bruilding, even when extremely hot outside.. it's not a boiler... I have a fan and take frequent breaks sitting in front of it and drinking water.