underground water pipes to barn

/ underground water pipes to barn #1  

mlinnane

Bronze Member
Tractor
mf 165
I going to dig the trench for the water and eletric tonight and tomorrow night.
The electrician is getting the wire I need to get the pipe that will run from the well where there is a T to the barn I do not remember what we used to run it to the house it seemed to me it was 1/2 inch plastic black pipe. I am going to place it in sewer line (white pipe cheap stuff). I think I can get the stuff at tractor supply but I am not sure? I know I can get it at plumbing supply house. What should I use? I am I correct about it being the 1/2 inch black plastic pipe?

/ underground water pipes to barn #2  
1/2" seems kinda small. i think typically its 1".

/ underground water pipes to barn #3  
3/4" minimum and 1" the best. Not sure what the frost line is in NY but in my part of Michigan it is 42" so you should think of burying your line below the NY frost line if you plan on having water in the line during the Winter months.
Farwell

/ underground water pipes to barn #4  
As the others said go 1" as the minimum. Ours is 1 1/2 from the well to the shop, that is where the filtration system and pressure tank is. We have one line that is totally unfiltered before the shop, after the shop all water is filtered, the line from the shop to the house is 1 1/4.

steve

/ underground water pipes to barn #5  
Use 1" polypropylene pipe. It's pressure rated, flexible and easy to work with. When you buy a 100 foot roll throw it out in the front yard after you cut the tape binding it in a coil and let it sit in the sun to warm up. It will make it much more flexible and less likely to kink as you are working with it.

/ underground water pipes to barn #6  
I used a bigger roll poly as a protector sleeve for the 1" poly I ran for my workshop and outbuildings. Everytime you turn on or off a faucet the poly pipe flexes a bit and if lying against a sharp rock, well you get the picture. Plus if I have to ever replace the 1" pipe, I just pull it out and pull another one in
Ben

/ underground water pipes to barn #7  
code is probably 1" 160psi poly from well to pump, 100psi is easier to find and would be fine am sure.

/ underground water pipes to barn #8  
I had heard that the black plastic can leach. I don't know the make but when I put some more water lines in I used this pipe that is blue on the outside and opaque on the inside.

/ underground water pipes to barn #9  
If the plumbing code is an issue, then you might need to use pipe
that is stamped "NSF-pw" for potable water. For me, that meant
PVC.

/ underground water pipes to barn #10  
Go 1" 160 or 200 pound
I wouldnt use 100 pound it's too thin walled