Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    mf 165

Default underground water pipes to barn

I going to dig the trench for the water and eletric tonight and tomorrow night.
    The electrician is getting the wire I need to get the pipe that will run from the well where there is a T to the barn I do not remember what we used to run it to the house it seemed to me it was 1/2 inch plastic black pipe. I am going to place it in sewer line (white pipe cheap stuff). I think I can get the stuff at tractor supply but I am not sure? I know I can get it at plumbing supply house. What should I use? I am I correct about it being the 1/2 inch black plastic pipe?
    michelle Linnane

Veteran Member

Default Re: underground water pipes to barn

1/2" seems kinda small. i think typically its 1".

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2010

3/4" minimum and 1" the best. Not sure what the frost line is in NY but in my part of Michigan it is 42" so you should think of burying your line below the NY frost line if you plan on having water in the line during the Winter months.
    Farwell
    David B

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota

As the others said go 1" as the minimum. Ours is 1 1/2 from the well to the shop, that is where the filtration system and pressure tank is. We have one line that is totally unfiltered before the shop, after the shop all water is filtered, the line from the shop to the house is 1 1/4.

steve
    Kubota L3430HST with 723 loader and 6'bucket, Greenline 6", 9" & 12" post hole digger, Land Pride 5' Brush hog, toothbar, 72" land Pride box blade, canopy, Kuhn 6' rototiller, 8' landscape rake, post driver, WOODS BH90x with hydraulic thrumb.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Use 1" polypropylene pipe. It's pressure rated, flexible and easy to work with. When you buy a 100 foot roll throw it out in the front yard after you cut the tape binding it in a coil and let it sit in the sun to warm up. It will make it much more flexible and less likely to kink as you are working with it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

I used a bigger roll poly as a protector sleeve for the 1" poly I ran for my workshop and outbuildings. Everytime you turn on or off a faucet the poly pipe flexes a bit and if lying against a sharp rock, well you get the picture. Plus if I have to ever replace the 1" pipe, I just pull it out and pull another one in
    Ben

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

code is probably 1" 160psi poly from well to pump, 100psi is easier to find and would be fine am sure.

Veteran Member

I had heard that the black plastic can leach. I don't know the make but when I put some more water lines in I used this pipe that is blue on the outside and opaque on the inside.

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

If the plumbing code is an issue, then you might need to use pipe
    that is stamped "NSF-pw" for potable water. For me, that meant
    PVC.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 445

Go 1" 160 or 200 pound
    I wouldnt use 100 pound it's too thin walled