How deep is deep enough

/ How deep is deep enough #1  

DavidPerry

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231
I'm thinking of making a pole barn. I am planning on the poles being 12' above ground and 4' in a auger hole with concrete. Would I realize any benefit from driving the pole deeper than the 4' hole? The ground here in NE Texas dries and cracks badly. I can see 2' deep crevices in my pasture.

/ How deep is deep enough #2  
DavidPerry,
I live in the wetter Seattle area, so I don't really have a definitive answer for you - but I've been in your area and have marveled at the wildly tilting power poles common down there! I suspect the power companies sink their poles at least four feet, so you might expect similar movement at that depth. Hopefully you'll get a better answer than this, but I'd go deeper!
Good luck,
Terry K7OI

/ How deep is deep enough #3  
4' sounds good.. that's what my polebarn is. I also dropped a square concrete pad in my holes for the piles to set on.. then backfilled and compacted. My structure is 24x36, tin roof, and usesd 8x8 as piles.. has withstood 6 years now.. the last 3 of them being VERY hurricane active here in florida... nothing even budged on my barn...

Also.. the concrete really isn't needed... You are employing a friction pile construction method. The 'crete will help with extraction resistance on side loads and won't hurt much ( some woods don't like 'crete' entombment.. ).

For more info on this.. google friction pile....

Soundguy

/ How deep is deep enough #4  
HELLO TO ALL,
my comment on your project. do not use
concrete around the post. when the company
was building my pole barn, i ask about this,
they said, we cannot guarrantee it for 30
years if we used concrete around the post.
they said concrete around the post would
draw moisture, and cause premature failure
of the post.
they put a concrete pad in the bottom of the
hole, and the post rest on this. the hole is
then filled with dirt, and compacted. this was
21 years ago, and i have not had any problems.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ How deep is deep enough #5  
Common practice in these parts is to backfill around poles with dense grade and not dirt. That said, I used dirt on mine. Built one 25 years ago at the old place and it's still sound as a dollar.... Let me re-phrase that....solid as a rock.

/ How deep is deep enough #6  
Rule of thumb is 1' down for every 3' up, according to my architect brother in law.

/ How deep is deep enough #7  
DavidPerry said:
I'm thinking of making a pole barn. I am planning on the poles being 12' above ground and 4' in a auger hole with concrete. Would I realize any benefit from driving the pole deeper than the 4' hole? The ground here in NE Texas dries and cracks badly. I can see 2' deep crevices in my pasture.

I've just about decided that in this north Texas clay four feet isn't enough for fence posts. :>(

I've watched fence lines jump up, down, and sideways just from the movement of the clay in this drought.

I've got some fences in sandy soil just north of here that are straight as an arrow three years after installation. There are some closer in the clay that have an austin or limestone rock layer about eighteen inches down that are straight and true almost twenty years later.

But when it's just clay it seems to take only a summer to have the posts moving.

It's all about expansive soils I guess.....but then it moves homes, swimming pools and why should we be surprised when a fence post moves?

/ How deep is deep enough
What is the thoughts on driven post rather than drilling and back filling a hole?

I have air powered post driver I've been trying to find a reason to use.

At $1.5 / foot, the cost of the post 2 or 3 more feet deeper in is not a big deal if it would secure the building.

/ How deep is deep enough #9  
I'd dig, add pillow, insert post, and backfill and compact in lifts...imho..

soundguy

/ How deep is deep enough #10  
David, what type of post are you using? With you thinking of using a pnumatic post driver I assume you are using pipe.

IMO in this black land dirt, you have to get below it into something solid or the post will move. On my place white cleatchy (not sure of spelling) clay is between 4 and 5 feet deep. Its most interesting to see the ground move away from a post in drought and when the rain returns watch the post pushed out of the ground. The Texas version of frost heve.

My carport posts are 16ft 2 7/8" pipe. I have 8ft clearence above ground. That put them only 4ft into something solid with concrete all the way to the surface.

James