clearing

/ clearing #11  
Defective -

I can guarantee you that a dead/dry locust tree is significantly tougher to cut than when it is green.

I have seen sparks fly off my chain when cutting some older deadfall, and no there was no metal in the tree - just hard as heck wood.

/ clearing #12  
   / clearing
Yea..that's what I'm thinking too. Going to look into a Husqvarna weed eater and almost snagged a John Deere 335 Garden tractor for a decent price @ a little over $3,000 dollars but came up short 950.00 dollars short. Boy was it nice.

/ clearing #15  
1bush2hog said:
Defective -

I can guarantee you that a dead/dry locust tree is significantly tougher to cut than when it is green.

I have seen sparks fly off my chain when cutting some older deadfall, and no there was no metal in the tree - just hard as heck wood.

True, some woods are pretty near indestructible when dried. They do tend to be special cases though.

This deadfall...how clean was it? I've ruined a few chains and even started one small fire by hitting dirt embedded in deadfall. Somewhere in the shop, I've got a chain with grooves in the links from cutting up a white oak that laid in the dirt for a couple of years. Lots of sparks from that one. I carry a big wire brush in my bush kit for cleaning the crap off as much as possible, but you can't get it all.

/ clearing #16  
This deadfall...how clean was it?

It was clean, but dead for awhile. The larger diameter trees (20"+) and Cutting thru a knot in one of these will work on a saw chain too -

I was using a Stihl MS360 and these trees will make it grunt. Never used a larger saw, but seriously considering it since I have so many. Sawing this stuff has improved my chain sharpening skills though :D

/ clearing #17  
Hmm i've seen those slashbuster videos... Those idiots even have them chew old cars, now who's going to rake together all that glass and shrapnel ?? :)

/ clearing #18  
I cut up a 44 inch oak last summer with my stihl farm boss...I found about 20 iron nails that were pounded into it SIDEWAYS...did a number on my chain...broke off 3-4 teeth. I was told that they used to do these nails sideays so the tree could get iron nutrients? I don't know, it sure was a challenge.

W

/ clearing
I think your on the mark with your reply...I use my 326RX husky brush cutter and let her fly! Looked into ordering a circular saw blade for it. I'll rent the tractor blade etc...per $175.00 a day...includes backhoe and shovel...Not too bad?