Ever built a Pole Barn?

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #1  

holstein05

Bronze Member
I realize this is a tractor site, and I gain a lot of great info about tractors on here, but I am having trouble with another issue, and I know this is the type of projects that TBN readers like to do!

I am about to start building a Pole Barn. This will be used to house the tractor as well as some of the wifes "stuff". When I do a search online for "how to build a pole barn" etc, I get nothing but a bunch of offers on books for sale that will "teach you everything you need to know about pole barns and basketweaving" [o.k., I made that part about basket weaving up].

Here is my question, can anybody direct me to a website that tells details and tips etc when building the barn? I've built one before, but it was only about halfway thought through, and this time I want to have all my ducks in a row. Can anybody give me some direction with this project?

Thanks in advance!

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #2  
I built my pole barn, and I did buy a book, read it from cover to cover repeatedly. It was titled " How To Build Small Barns and Outbuildings" by Monte Burch. I researched, planned, talked, debated, about building myself or having it built for a year beforehand. My barn was also a kit from the Manns Lumber, and they were very helpful.
There is free plans available at Iowa State U. website. DIY websites are helpful, there is a lot of info here also. Do you know what size you want, any codes in your area. Do you have basic carpentry skills and tools?
My barn is very plain compared to some, 40' x 60' x 12' trussed 4' on center, metal siding and roof, gravel floor, 2 sliders and 1 access door. Most importantly in the success of my barn I had some experienced help and overseers checking on my progress. I have built a couple of garages, sheds, decks and such before I/we built this barn.
I'd start by going the a lumberyard/building center that sells polebarn kits and talk to them.

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #3  
You can save some money by going to a lumber yard that sells pole barn packages. They generally have detailed instructions for the "do it your-selfers" that are very easy to understand and follow.
If not, you will need a book of some sort because there are a lot of little details that may save you some time, money and hard labor.
Another thought is to get some bids. You may find that having someone build it for you won't cost you any more than if you build it yourself and it will be done much sooner. A place to start on getting the bids is at the lumber yard that sells the packages. Also take a look at other projects that the bidders have built.
Farwell

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #4  
I bought the same book as hockeyhead - its pretty good and it has some plans for various types of barns etc. towards the back. I have actually built 2 pole barns over the years. One is a 20x40 run in shed for the horses and the more recent is a 32x32 shop/dog kennel/storage area/junk repository. The latter is still under various stages of construction, however I don't think it will ever really be finished.

What kind of barn are you looking to build? The standard pole/engineered truss/metal siding and roof variety are probably the cheapest and easiest to build.

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #5  
I had Carter Lumber put me together a pole barn kit based on what I wanted. It came with blueprints although I did not get to benefit from them very long before my husband stole them during our divorce. We were getting divorced because he wouldn't work and spent my money and all the money I didn't have. Needless to say, and this is sad, I didn't have $25 to spend for another set of blueprints at the time. I pretty much had the frame up, but there were what seemed like all kinds of strange metal parts that I couldn't figure out. I went and looked at other people's pole barns and would say Oh! That's what that is for. I don't suppose I recommend this method of building one but it worked out great for me. About the time I was finishing the ex showed up to harrass me again and I asked him why he stole the blueprints. He said he didn't and they were sitting right inside his truck! He hadn't even bothered to take them out in 8 months. Of course that was the story of our marriage, as far as he was concerned he had a license to do every horrible thing you could think of and never take any of the responsibility. At any rate, you can buy a pole barn kit that comes with blueprints. They will make whatever changes you want. I had wanted 4x6 posts and 2x6 construction and 2 sliding doors that could be offset to allow for stalls down one side. They put the package together with no problem. At least now I am able to laugh thinking of how I put my barn together.

/ Ever built a Pole Barn?
Thanks for the responses ya'll.

The barn I built in the past was completely open on one side (30X45). I used "telephone" poles for the verticals, and wood I could round up from other fallen barns for the wall support. Then I used some rusty half galvanized tin for the outside. We did splurge and use new 2X's on the roof for a lath and new sheet steel. To say the least, it was a rustic barn, but sufficed for backing the corner of a plow in and repairing things of that nature.

This round, I already have all the sheet steel I am going to need. (Don't worry, it's not rusty and half galvanized.) As far as the design, I'm not sure. Engineered trusses bother me 'cause ya can't use that space as well as in other types of construction. I was raised on a dairy, so I'm not educated on what the name of the style is that I want. I do know that since I don't particularly want the engineered truss, I will probably not have a free span, (ie, there will be poles in the middle, or to both sides of an aisle). I'm o.k. with that. I'd rather have them extra poles and put in some "second floors" than have to give up the rafter area.

I may be way off on my thinking, that's why I am here!

One last thing, I really want this to be my project barn, so getting quotes from builders isn't someth'n I will be looking into. I am too handy, and like do'n that type of stuff too much to let someone else have my fun, and pay them for it! :)

/ Ever built a Pole Barn?
Wow MikeD74T,

Them are very usefull sites. You see, I didn't even realize that a "scissor" truss was available. That makes the truss idea not look quite so restricting...

Thank you.

/ Ever built a Pole Barn? #9  
I built a 24X27 pole barn to store my tractor and "stuff". I read the Monty Burch book that others have mentioned. It is good. Consider the scissor trusses if extra inside height is a consideration. They don't cost much more than standard trusses. I used standard trusses and you can get things to lay up in there. It's not toatlly lost space. Mine has two sliders and one conventional entry door. As is always the case, I wish I had built a little larger.