barn explosion

/ barn explosion #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
Here is a picture of my new project thanks to Mother Nature Wednesday evening.

storm damage 002_edited.jpg

I will salvage what I can like the roof (aluminum), beams, copper wiring, and good structural lumber and any siding the neighbors want. The rest will be pushed into a hole in the farm field behind me and burned part at a time until it is done and then we will bury whatever is left. Hopefully nails won't resurface through time to puncture tractor tires.

Last edited:
   / barn explosion #3  
what happened and was it insured. Looks like a lot of work ahead.

Be safe you and the tractor.

/ barn explosion
Well, it was either straight line winds in excess of 100mph that came suddenly out of the west and then immediately out of the east or a tornado. None of us could see anything other than horizontal rain and trees bending down. We also have several uprooted trees and a few utility poles snapped too. Luckily the electric on our road was back on after about 6 hours. We used a backhoe to get the tree off the pole we had that was snapped and they put in a new pole.

I have a feeling my tractor won't be doing that much of the work because it is small. Another neighbor with a dozer/backhoe seems to be willing to let us use it as long as we provide him with a couple cases of beer and a full tank of diesel!

I spent all day yesterday cleaning up what seemed like 5000 tree limbs.

/ barn explosion #5  
MAN, what a blow!!! Hopefully nobody was injured! Nevertheless, a PITA and long time to recover.... best wishes!

/ barn explosion #6  
roxy,

You have my sympathies. The only good thing about the whole situation is that your neighbors are in the same boat and it prolly will make you all hang together. 6 hours for the electiric to come back on, wow that must be some kind of record.

By chance is that the barn you said you built where you didn't have access to the blueprints?

/ barn explosion
Oh, no. This barn was built I think in 1918. At least that is what is scratched into the cement water trough behind it. My pole barn thankfully was unscathed, as my horses live in it. A few years ago the horses did live in this one. It was just the kind of nice old barn we all dream of owning when we are kids (at least if you grew up in the city like I did.)

/ barn explosion #9  
Dang! When mother nature talks.. everyone listens! Reminds me of structures here in florida after our last 2 years of hurricanes...

sorry about the luck.

Be safe when you clean it up

Soundguy

/ barn explosion #10  
Glad you and the family are OK.

Can you post a before picture so we can get an idea of what the barn looked like before mother nature remodeled it?