Pole bldg on grade

/ Pole bldg on grade #1  

bones1

Platinum Member
St.Marys County. Maryland/Tall Timbers Md.
Tractor
Farmtrac 300 dtc
Is it ok to bulid a pole building on a grade?It is about a 3 ft drop in the back over a 28 ft length.All of the pole barn builders,four so far, I have talked to insist on a nice level pad before they will build.I am sure it's been done and why couldn't I just close in the bottom later and back fill inside to grade? Wouldn't they just set longer poles in the back and level to the front.Am I missing something here,pls advise.

/ Pole bldg on grade #2  
Not sure if you are missing anything other than the ease of getting a pad level without a building on it. Can't imagine any reason to put off doing the pad first as well as any reason the builders won't do your building with out a level pad unless it is a code requirement. Keep looking, you will eventually find someone that will do it your way even if it is against code.
I would do the pad first and would make sure that the pad was well above any possible invasion by water.
Farwell

/ Pole bldg on grade #3  
I don't think the poles would take the pressure of the backfill. It could make the building lean to the back or even brake the poles. Larry

/ Pole bldg on grade #4  
I was thinking something similar to Larry. Having three feet of exposed beam from the ground the the skirt has the potential to cause problems. PT wood likes to curl on it's own, and this might give it enough room to do so.

If I absolutely had to start construction before the pad was level, than I'd put larger poles in the ground. At least one size bigger than you need. I think you'll need the extra strength.

It sure seems like a much harder way to go about building a barn. Moving the dirt in later and compacting it is gonna be ten times the work and effort having to work around the walls. Compaction will be just about impossible when your trying to get it from both sides of the walls, which means it will continue to settle for years, even decades. No matter what, you'd never be able to pour a solid foundation tha wouldn't crack on you over time.

Anything's possible, but why do it the hard way?
Eddie

/ Pole bldg on grade
Never thought about the side pressure on the poles.I will re think this project.
I asked because I didn't want the pole guys to come out and say they can't set poles in 3-4 feet of fill.Is it ok to set poles in fill?This is the only spot left I have for a building and right now a 24x12 shed sits on it up on blocks.Anyway to move that shed with a tractor?Anyone done this.
Thanks for your replies so far.

/ Pole bldg on grade #6  
Yes, you can set the poles in fill, but it needs to be compacted. When I worked in California, fill had to be compaceted to 98% (I think). Anyway, when it's compacted properly, fill material is just as solid, and sometimes, more solid than undesturbed soil.

Again, you soil and conditions will dictate what it takes to get compaction. Trying to build a lift that high with a compact tractor would be very dificult, but with the right equipment, it's not that big a deal at all.

Eddie

/ Pole bldg on grade #7  
I`m haveing a pole barn built in November. I was told the poles are a set length/height. The builder told me if not a level pad I would lose ceiling height on short end of the barn. I guess they have a minimum depth to set the poles, other wise could do as you were speaking about and set the high end shallow. I`m looking at about a 1 to 1 1/2 foot difference in 30 feet

/ Pole bldg on grade #8  
How much room do you have behind the downside of the intended building site and what type of soil conditions do you have?

/ Pole bldg on grade
I have about 30 ft behind proposed pad but the slope gets greater real quick back there.Soil is not clay, sandy though.

Last edited:
   / Pole bldg on grade #10  
Maybe you should think of a retaining wall behind the shed to help support the pad.

Build the pad first or delay the posts.