Attaching a lean-to on the barn

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #1  

drg1

Silver Member
Tractor
1532 hydro
ok folks need some advice..wanting to attach a lean-to the side of the barn. Question is whats the best way to attach the ledger board to the side of the girt that is covered by metal? Do i need to cut the metal ribs off only where the ledger would be attached, or put spacers behind the ledger board to fill in the space? Really dont want to cut up the side panels too much if not needed. Just going to be used for tractor cover, and get some implements out of the weather...Thanks

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #2  
id cut the tin back.

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #3  
If you don't care about it being water tight, just shimming it out will work fine and save you some time. If you don't want leaks, you'll have to cut the tin anyhow to put flashing above the new roof line. In that case, you may as well make another cut and install it wood on wood.

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #4  
If I was just looking to get my implements ot of the rain, I would shim the existing siding out at my attachment points and call it good.

That is the quick and simple way but it would be almost as easy to use a metal blade in a circular saw to cut a gap, slide some flashing under it and make the backside watertight. That would certainly be better if you ever put the place on the market.

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #5  
How close to the over hang on main building? If it is with in 5', you won't get much of a chance to have a leak. in that case I'd shim and attach with lag bolts

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #6  
If you don't care about the leaks, don't want to cut the tin, and aren't too particular on how it looks, then shim it out and fill in the open space with expanding foam. After it dries, you can cut the expanding foam and camoflage it with some paint that matches the metal.

Expanding foam will stick to the metal and seal it up pretty good.

If it was me, I'd cut and flash, but either way will probably give you the same results.

Eddie

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn
the overhang will be about 6 inches from the overhang, I was thinking by the time i have the roofing screwed to the roof nailers on the overhang it will probably be about 4 inches from the existing roof overhang. The existing roof overhangs about 2 inches...also what do you recomend for spacers?

/ Attaching a lean-to on the barn #8  
drg1 said:
the overhang will be about 6 inches from the overhang, I was thinking by the time i have the roofing screwed to the roof nailers on the overhang it will probably be about 4 inches from the existing roof overhang. The existing roof overhangs about 2 inches...also what do you recomend for spacers?

Is there a reason that you wouldn't just extend the original roof to cover the lean-to??? Would stop the leak issue. you can change pitch at the same time if needed.