Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months?

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #91  
Tell ya one thing. Ponderosa pine burns very nice! several years old......... wonderful stuff! Buddy has a place in MT and that is all he burns......... indoor insert wood stove too........

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #92  
I never understood how the term Holz hausen made sense. In German it is a compound word - "Holzhausen" and means literally "Wooden houses."

So I did some surfing on German sites and discovered some of the facts.

A Holzmeite is translated as an engineered woodpile (a woodpile engineered and stacked in a way that won't fall over). Holzhaufen, translated as a wood house (house for firewood).

I had Holzhaufen as "wood pile" but it is more specific than that. See the website: Bauanleitung einer Scheitholz-Miete | Holz traditionell Lagern and others which detail the construction of a "Holzmiete" literally translated as "Wood clamp" or "Wood holder." It is a wood holder in the sense that it holds stacked firewood.

The most meticulous builders stack wood on the inside, vertically, and leaning against the outside wall. Others just throw them in. But ze Germans still recommend up to two years drying time.
bau_holzmiete.jpg

Last edited:
   / Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #93  
And they get spiritual about it too. :laughing:

Nachdem nun das Holzkunstwerk vollbracht ist, spüren Sie innere Freude und Zufriedenheit. Die Bewunderung von interessierten Mitmenschen macht selbstbewußt und steigert das Ego ungemein. Wer nichts verspürt sollte keine zweite Holzmiete bauen.

Loose translation:
After your artful wood stacking is done, you will have a feeling of inner happiness and contentment. The wonder expressed by interested others will boost your self confidence and increase your ego. Anyone who does not experience these feelings should not build a second Holzmiete.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #94  
They must have more free time than me.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #95  
I burn 3 year old wood in a pinch but typically 4 years old. Since many of the trees I cut are blow downs, they are really a year or so more since they were green.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #97  
They must have more free time than me.
Six weeks vacation. We looked at Bundeswehr training schedules and realized our soldiers worked one to two hours per day more than theirs. We did not tell our soldiers....

They're friendly though: "Hello, my fellow wood friends."
spalten_und_stapeln.jpg

There are many similar references in English/ "When you are so consumed by an activity, you may feel an energized focus, happiness, and calm as you become fully involved in the process ."

Last edited:
   / Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #98  
Man, these things would make for a really good bon-fire! I think I'll try one this fall. :)

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #99  
I'm in a seminar this week with a guy who runs a sawmill in Germany. He said "Holz hausen" makes no sense at all, and that such a pile is not usually called a "Holzhaus" either.

He said "Holzmiete" is an archaic term as well, but might be used in other regions. In fact he'd never seen one there. He has heard they dry the wood faster.

Some of them are decorated with door frames and windows, as whimsy.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #100  
I'm in a seminar this week with a guy who runs a sawmill in Germany. He said "Holz hausen" makes no sense at all, and that such a pile is not usually called a "Holzhaus" either.

He said "Holzmiete" is an archaic term as well, but might be used in other regions. In fact he'd never seen one there. He has heard they dry the wood faster.

Some of them are decorated with door frames and windows, as whimsy.