Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months?

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #21  
Sounds like a much faster and easier way then how I do it. I'm handling at the splitter, then I load it into the Mule, haul it to the log pile and then stack it in a nice neat row. I burn a little over a chord a year, and try to have two chords stacked just in case.

Eddie
Hey Eddie, how much is in a cord? Over here we measure in the cubic meter or buy it by the tonne.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #22  
a cord is a neat stack 4 ft deep, four feet high and 8 ft long .. 128 cu ft.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #23  
A chord?

a cord is a neat stack 4 ft deep, four feet high and 8 ft long .. 128 cu ft.

I will disagree with the "neat stack" description.

A chord is a stack of wood in 4 ft lengths four feet high, and eight feet long.

If you can get "chord wood" to stack neatly, you are likely to have a calling as a stone mason ;-)

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #24  
Hey Eddie, how much is in a cord? Over here we measure in the cubic meter or buy it by the tonne.

question, when purchased by the tonne, is moisture content part of the qualification? I realize that AU is entirely an uninhabitable desert where no trees can grow, and no one can survive for more than a week or two, but it seems a shame to purchase water and then try to burn it ;-)

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #26  
some firewood sellers are very good at stacking a chord, of course if you bump it will suddenly settle to 3/4 chord:D then you have the face chord yet another measurement set for fraud, if the length of the wood is 24" you only get a half chord unless it is creatively stacked then much less, obviously if the wood is cut shorter then 24" far less wood. And as mentioned by the ton is not much better unless the moisture content is specified. I will continue to cut my own and not worry about how much is there as long as I do not run out.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #27  
I will disagree with the "neat stack" description.
A chord is a stack of wood in 4 ft lengths four feet high, and eight feet long.
This, as stated above, is a true cord of wood, round large small crooked and straight with some void spaces.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #28  
question, when purchased by the tonne, is moisture content part of the qualification? I realize that AU is entirely an uninhabitable desert where no trees can grow, and no one can survive for more than a week or two, but it seems a shame to purchase water and then try to burn it ;-)
Nope moister content isn't qualified, however reputable wood dealers would never sell green wood. Typically if your buying your would you go for Red Gum or a mixture of hardwood and Red a Gum. Australian Red a Gum is super hard and long burning. Contrary to popular beliefs we do have some trees in OZ. :) I harvest my own wood off my property which is mostly Stringly bark (Gum) and Black wood (acacia) both hardwoods. I use a hydrolic wood splitter as the black wood is almost impossible to split by hand. The stringy bark is a very strong wood, I've milled boards for my kitchen bench tops and veranda and a post and rail fence. Australia is about the same size (mass) as the US and is 20% desert. Australia can be a tough climate though, extremes in weather, drought, Floods and bush fires. I sometimes have seen footage of you guys with your own natural challenges. If I had to choose another place to live other than Australia, it would be the USA, I've travelled there 3 times and have some mates in Oregon, love the people and love the country. I like most Australian's are very proud of the friendship between our nations and our history in battle. If it wasn't for you guys in the Pacific in WW2 Australian's would have been speaking Japanese it's that simple. Off topic I know!
P.S, we have found it easier to buy our water from a water carter, it's a lot easier to extract it from a tanker than the fire wood... Hehe :)

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #29  
just a word of caution to those thinking of going round with their stacks, Google the construction first. I have found that 8 foot diameter is minimum because the edge pieces are going in like pieces of pie and smaller they have to large a gap on the outside. I split to about 3 to 4 inches and length is always 16 +/-. The base is also important. While you can stack directly on the ground the bottom layer is mostly waste I have built platforms from scrap treated lumber and find it fairly good. I have just started a new base using some left over concrete blocks it is a race track shape 8 foot by 16 foot and will be at the center 10 feet high.

/ Holz Hausen-Dry Wood In Three Months? #30  
Lockhaven, i have made smaller ones. I put four pallets on the ground and then put an 8' 1/x3 in the middle. I stacked to the top and in a few months you could see how the pile shrunk.
I found the trick for the stack is to do the bottom with a layer sideways to start the right slope. I would then go around 2-3 times and fill the middle, then do another side ways layer and so-on. Keeping it off the ground on pallets was helpful in the winter when the snow would fall off. It was nice being able to shovel over to it and not have things frozen to the ground.