hooks for my bucket

/ hooks for my bucket #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I am wanting to add hooks to the bucket on my 300CX. Where is a good online source for high strength high quality hooks? What should I expect a shop to charge me to weld them? thanks.

/ hooks for my bucket #2  
AW Direct has grade 40 and 70 weld on grab hooks. I would expect a shop to weld on a backing plate to weld the hooks to first. I'd expect labor to be about 2 - 3 hours or so but can't quote you a going hourly rate.

/ hooks for my bucket #3  
jmt1271 said:
I am wanting to add hooks to the bucket on my 300CX. Where is a good online source for high strength high quality hooks? What should I expect a shop to charge me to weld them? thanks.
AW Direct is the best source I know of for hooks. Do you want slip hooks or grab hooks or are you going to do a combination?

My recommendation is to put the hooks 'in line' with the attachement points of your loader arms. Some people put the hooks at the bucket corners, JMO but I believe that is a reciepe for disaster and if you snag something when you have a bucket hook at the corner you can more easily tweak your entire loader out of square.

I have grab hooks in line with my loader arms. I've considered, but never installed, a slip hook located at the bucket center.

As for installation time, I welded my own on, it took about 15 minutes to do both of them. The top lip of my bucket (its a New Holland bucket) comes heavily reinforced from the factory with a fully welded length of square tube so there was no need to reinforce under the top lip. As you have a John Deere bucket, they offer heavy duty and light duty buckets, if you have one of the HD buckets, there is no reason to reinforce the lip. If you have a bucket design that is a simple curled or folded top lip, then I would want a piece of angle iron welded across the full width of the bucket to reinforce it with the hooks welded to the top of the angle iron.

What surprises me is how lightly built some of the buckets really are. Below are some photos of buckets that you might want to review, any of the rolled or folded lip buckets are inadequate (IMHO) if you want to add hooks. In order are a bucket from a 35hp Branson, it is not only small but also just has a folded lip, also notice it has no welded reinforement on the lower corners or the sides of the bucket. Next is a JD light material bucket on a JD 3410, it has a simple rolled top lip, it has corner reinforcment but not side reinforcement. The third photo is a New Holland TC35 bucket, notice the tube steel, welded full length under the top lip, it also has full side reinforcement welded on. The 4th picture is a Montana bucket, on a 50hp tractor, like the Branson bucket it is a low capacity bucket (considering the much larger size of the 50hp tractor) and has a simple fold along the top lip, the Montana bucket does have welded side reinforcement similar to the New Holland bucket. The final photo is a Kubota B3030 bucket, this is a small & ultra-light 30hp tractor, suprisingly the bucket has a double fold along the top of the bucket and welded reinforcements on the lower corners. It does not have reinforced sides.

Attachments

• 1bransonbucket.jpg
    1bransonbucket.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 1jd3410bucket close.jpg
    1jd3410bucket close.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 461
  • 1TC35bucket.jpg
    1TC35bucket.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 458
  • Montana light duty.jpeg
    Montana light duty.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 1B3030bucketclose.jpg
    1B3030bucketclose.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
   / hooks for my bucket #4  
Bob_Skurka said:
I have grab hooks in line with my loader arms. I've considered, but never installed, a slip hook located at the bucket center.

This is the aproach im going but instead of th slip hook am going to weld a piece of 3/8" or so plate with like a 2" hole in it at the center of the bucket. It can serve a number of pourpous including hooking a D-ring shackel to.

/ hooks for my bucket #5  
jmt,

It looks like you have a new 2006 model tractor, I would ask the dealer to weld them on as a courtesty, It should not take more than a few minutes. I agree with it being inline or just inside of the bucket arms. I would not want them to the outside of the bucket.

steve

/ hooks for my bucket
The dealer is too far away. One of my drivers @ work is a very good welder. May just take the bucket to work and have him do it.

My bucket is the heavy duty version, along the top the material seems to be at least 2 inches thick, can that be correct? Seems like overkill. I think I will order two of the flat backed grab hooks from AW and weld them in line with the loader arms. Does anyone have specific hook recommendations from AWdirect?
Thanks alot guys.

/ hooks for my bucket #7  
All my chains are 3/8" so that's the hooks I bought and welded on. Guess it depends on what chain you use most. I believe mine were # pab-3b.

/ hooks for my bucket #8  
3/8" grab hooks are usually 3/8 or 5/16. meaning they will work for both.

not that i think you would be useing less than 5/16 to lift/ pull stuff with...

/ hooks for my bucket #9  
jmt1271 said:
My bucket is the heavy duty version, along the top the material seems to be at least 2 inches thick, can that be correct? Seems like overkill.
I suppose it is possible that you have 2" thick bar, but it is more likely that you have a 2" square tube welded under the top sheet steel that acts to reinforce the top lip of the bucket. It is pretty common to find either round or square tube used on the H.D. buckets used to reinforce the top lip of the bucket. As strong as it is, I have seen some of those type bend, I suspect when the top lip of the bucket comes into high speed contact with a tree or similar immovable object. :eek:

/ hooks for my bucket
aw direct has grade 40(?) weld on hooks with flat backs. would these be okay?