Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

Default So you want to make a big hole in your floor...

Step 1 - move all the garbage out of the way
    Step 2 - MOST IMPORTANT - remove laundry from the basement
    Step 3 - mark it out
    Step 4 - score with old circ saw & diamond blade - man does that make dust!

pic 1 junk
    pic 2 laundry
    pic 3 clear
    pic 4 blue tape marks the spot
    pic 5 scored cut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hazmat

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

Default Re: So you want to make a big hole in your floor...

step 5 - fire up the big boy concrete saw
    step 6 - cut one side - set off smoke detector
    step 7 - frantically vacuum up all the water
    step 8 - repeat 6 & 7 3 more times
    step 9 - chisel out corners
    step 10 - wack it with 10lb sledge
    step 11 - pry up big piece
    step 12 - break it up some

pic 1 saw
    pic 2 cut
    pic 3 corner
    pic 4 big slab
    pic 5 done
    Hazmat

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

Lastly transfer to tractor for transport.

hole is for new footing required because house was not built to code Girder in basement (4) 2x10s won't support 1st 2nd & 3rd floor at current 8' span. I need to shorten them up to 5'.

I must say the Makita saw with diamond blade chewed thru the floor like butter.
    Hazmat

Tractor
    98 JD 1070

Nice. I did the same thing in my basement, but I also added a steel beam and 4 lolly columns to hold it
    98 JD 1070 (573 hrs), 440 JD Loader, 8B JD Back Hoe, 5' King Kutter Rotary Cutter, 6' King Kutter Landscape Rake, 7' King Kutter Back Blade, 6' Farm Force Box Blade, Custom Design/Built Grapple, Farm Force PHD w/ 9" & 12" Augers

Tractor
    Ford 3910

If you have to do that again make a saw cut with your concrete saw all the way across your hole and it will literally pry out in sections very easily, almost no hammering or chiseling required. Just make a cut in either a cross patern or an x, the first piece out will be the most difficult, the rest will lift/pry right out with almost no hassle. This way you're dealing with sections of blocks rather than chunks and rocks.

Last winter I put in a drain field uner my basement floor all runninginto a sump pit with a pump. I had some BAD water problems under the floor. About 80' of trenches I cut out and dug by hand (18" deep by 18" wide) then filled with silt cloth, gravel and pipe. It was a pain in the butt, if I had to do it again I'd have a gas leak right next to a faulty electrical outlet and I'd leave town to come home to a burnt out house.!

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

Birdhunter - thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that, but it only took a couple of wacks with the sledge. I'm trying to minimize the saw use in the basement - running it dry creates too much dust. Running it wet requires vacuuming like a mad man to keep up with the flood. I have to put 2 more holes in. I need to wait for the wife & kid to go on an errand somewhere as I will be setting the smoke alarms off again
    Hazmat

Veteran Member

I liked the 'turn off smoke detector'. I learned the same way not to use a chainsaw while standing under one. Good thing I didn't have any sprinklers down there.

When using a concrete saw, things stay a lot cleaner air wise by haveing a small stream of water playing on the blade. Makes one *&(() of a mess on the floor though.

Harry K

That's also a good idea when cutting character grade hickory flooring with a dull sabre saw blade -- especially when the whole house goes off if you trigger one detector.
    Rich
    300 hours on the DX29, 850 on the JD 240 and too many to count on the Cadet
    Funk, Ohio

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Does the saw throw water all over or is it just a general flood of water? I am wondering if you could make a dam all the way around the work area with wet towels or something and then have the wet/dry vac hose in one corner to suck most of it up as you are cutting.

Charles

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlz
    Does the saw throw water all over or is it just a general flood of water? I am wondering if you could make a dam all the way around the work area with wet towels or something and then have the wet/dry vac hose in one corner to suck most of it up as you are cutting.

Charles
    The water/mud pretty well stays in the work area as far as being thrown, where it runs to is controllable with the towels, etc. I does not take much water, just a trickle. It also cuts down on the rental cost as the blade runs cooler and wears less. They charge for the amount of wear on the blade as measured on a micrometer set up. Them diamonds get expensive.

Harry K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast