Hay storage

/ Hay storage #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
To store hay for two sheep and Bart - new to us horse - I had to figure out where to put it.
The loft in our barn is a playroom/TV room/guestroom and I dint feel like raising another building. Finally I got an idea - it happens to me sometimes:) - and we decided to enclose part of the drive under barn.
We poured concrete for the floor and used 2x4s and T1-11 plywood to match walls of the old building. Since the barn is oriented NW to SW it gives the animals also protection from the wind. The newly enclosed area is 10'x10'x8'(height) - not sure how much hay I am gonna fit in.

On pictures the added walls are not painted yet.

Attachments

• DSCN2359.jpg
    DSCN2359.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN2358.jpg
    DSCN2358.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2389.jpg
    DSCN2389.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 195
   / Hay storage #2  
Good use of the overhang. I would think you could squeeze a couple ton in that space, depending on what kind of door you have.

When we first moved to our place, I stored hay on the patio next to the garage under a tarp. Not a good time for those that feed...aka...the wife.
I made a 8X26 building off the back of the garage with a concrete slab. Two 7' sliding doors allow it to open up for bringing in the hay. I can get 3 ton in just a little over half and the other half is used for grains and bedding material.

I wish I could store more so I didn't have to "buck hay" every three months but the good news is two horses left a couple weeks ago so now we're down to our two and three rescues...maybe I can stretch it out to four months now.