A road over swamp?

/ A road over swamp? #11  
I resurrected this old post...in hopes that someone has seen an idea for similar solution for a road over a swamp.

I have a large swampy area that divides my property. I sure would like to have a light-duty (8000# max) road crossing about 100 yards of this lowland. I've read about corduroy logging roads from time gone by....and giving it some thought. (I've got lots of pine timber and sandy fill to use.)

Suggestions? Other posts you've seen? Thanks!

Wait till it freezes :D

/ A road over swamp? #13  
Buy a bunch of low-grade old RR ties and corduroy with them and add fill on top. They will last longer than logs because they are treated. Length is ok for one lane width. I have done it in a swampy stretch of about 100 feet but not as far as you have to go.

/ A road over swamp? #14  
Well, there's this one:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/193538-need-help-corduroy-road.html
Have you tried plugging "corduroy" in the search box yet?

After I posted the above.....I learned to spell "Corduroy" correctly and found a thread here on TBN with some more suggestions.

Thanks for the inputs......I do have a tractor w/ grapple and enough equipment to get the job done - If I can determine a feasible process. I also need to consider the in's and out's of wetlands.

/ A road over swamp? #15  
Just a note, I have heard of people in my area getting into big trouble messing around in low/swamp areas. It is something to do with government regs and habitat. One guy in our town had to pay to have all the fill removed shortly after paying big bucks to get it put in. Just a heads up. It might not apply in your state.

Last edited:
   / A road over swamp? #16  
Just a note, I have heard of people in my area getting into big trouble messing around in low/swap areas. It is something to do with government regs and habitat. One guy in our town had to pay to have all the fill removed shortly after paying big bucks to get it put in. Just a heads up. It might not apply in your state.

That happened here with a farmer draining a small swampy area....Big bucks and give away good land for a swap too.

/ A road over swamp? #17  
I have a similar problem however it's not swampt and it about 20 acres of heavy trees with years of loam and poor drainage. This is my plan:

1) Cut a trail through the acreage to open it up and get sun at it --> Done in Aug/Sept 2010
2) Cut all stumps to ground level
3) Build a corduroy road using timber already cut and additional cedars, etc. standing beside trail
4) Dig some drainage ditches along the sides of the trail and put in a few culverts where needed

I'm planning to do #2 & 3 in the coming weeks. It will definitely not be a small project but I enjoy this type of work. One other thing I may do is visit a local sawmill and pickup the slabs from pine and other logs he cuts. He has a load of it around his place and it would be good to put down for the trail.

I want to get my tractor through there so I can continue my trails in the back third of my property.

/ A road over swamp? #18  
If you have trees growing on it.....then it doent seem like it's "swamp" land to me. ??

Big difference in soil stability if your land supports tree growth IMO. :confused:

Oooops.....re-read your post. Nevermind :D

Last edited:
   / A road over swamp? #19  
Wondering how the OP's concrete filled tire road built through a marshland is holding up 10 years later. I wager it's resting underneath 6 feet of mud.

/ A road over swamp? #20  
Wondering how the OP's concrete filled tire road built through a marshland is holding up 10 years later. I wager it's resting underneath 6 feet of mud.

Considering the fact that his last post was over 6 years ago.............I doubt we will ever know.