Clearing a lake?

/ Clearing a lake? #1  

aesanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with loader(going by by), BCS 830 2 wheel tractor, Gravely Pro-Turn 160 XDZ, John Deere Gator HPX 615e
On my new property i have an inlet of a lake. This inlet is about 150 by 100. I'll post picture. This picture is a little deceiving as far as scale. The tree straight across from this view is probably about 100-150 feet out. The grass you can see is all growing from the lake itself. To the right of the large tree is an open section to the larger lake behind (about a 15 acre lake). Id like to clear this out so boating will be easy. The lake itself is crystal clear, but my inlet is full of this swamp grass and water hyacinth. Is their some type of round up spray that will kill the vegetation and not harm the fish and other wild life.

Their is a bank that goes all the way out to the large tree that I will clear with my weed eater and bush hog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the pic:

Attachments

• tractor #1 014.jpg
    tractor #1 014.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 518
   / Clearing a lake? #2  
WOW!! I had to look real close just to see that there really is a lake there. You sure got a job ahead of you!!!!!

Do a search for the posts by "Fishman" and read up what's he's said for chemicals on water plants. He's the expert on these things.

Before you start spraying, I'd thin them out as much as possible, then spray what comes back.

A friend had a stock pond for cattle that was totally overgrown similar to yours. We tried spraying it, but that just made a mess. The plants that died just sunk and new ones took over.

He had a giant rake made up that we used to drag along the bottom to pull out the plants. One guy would carry the rake around the oposite bank. It was attached to the back of his tractor with a long cable. We were afraid a rope might break. Then one of us would pull it through. We got an incredible amount of vegitation out with it. In fact, pulling the plants of the rake was the toughest thing to do!!!

At first, it didn't matter where we dragged it. It also didn't look like we were making any progress, but after a full weekend of this, it really made a huge difference.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Clearing a lake? #3  
Morning.
Looks like you got a heck of a project ahead and well thought out.

Not sure about your water laws waaay down there,but wondering if you contacted your state,city or town about your plans...for some states are really strict.

Best toward your project.

/ Clearing a lake? #4  
If you have lived here long you know Alachua Co. government!!! I have been here all my life; I say DO NOT contact any one. I work for fisheries and aquatic weeds 25 plus years ago, I am NOOOO expert, but I can call someone and find out if you want me to.

Fill free to P.M. I will give any help I can.

tt

/ Clearing a lake? #5  
we owned a lake lot several years ago- had a ton of weeds in the water. We were told in Michigan at that time we could do whatever by hand- no machines. Our neighbor told us about a plan that worked pretty well. An old bed spring with an inner-tube tied to the front- tied to a boat. The nasty part was you need "helper" to ride the bed springs- act as ballast. When you are in the area you want to clear the helper stands on the back of the springs- once you clear the area, the simply float along. This worked well as we were able to circle into the main part of the lake. Maybe you can pull something like this thru your mess, I mean lake.

Good luck!

/ Clearing a lake? #6  
I have property with a similar view in coastal NC. I have two canals in the back. I have been considering using seapile and CMI sheetpile to build a bulkhead. The CMI people sent me a whole package of information and a list of retailers who carry it. They have a hollow fiberglass pile that I am planning on using instead of the seapile. Hopefully, I can use a pump to wash the piles down instead of driving. The CMI sheetpile is an interlocking structure which can be washed down but is usually driven. I am trying to get a handle on that before I order my supplies and create a CAD drawing of the bulkheaded dock.
We were just "zoned" as waterfront residential. That agreement includes an ability to fabricate a personal use structure, dock. I still have to get all my plans together to get a permit but supposedly that's just regulations.
HTH.

/ Clearing a lake?
Thanks for the replies. It actually looks more like a lake in real life than the still frame photo. Also a long summer drought has made the water level go down making the grass look more pronounced. That said, it is going to be a major undertaking. I have heard that local county government can be difficult to work with. I have also heard though that since water hyancinth is not a native plant species then they are way more forgiving to let a person do some clearing.

The box springs method sounded interesting until the point where someone had to get drug through the pond. Being in GATOR territory probably will discourage me to try that one.

I'll probably start by making some type of drag to remoe as much of the vegetation as I can mechanically. In the mean time , i'll do some investigating of some chemical aids as well.

I'LL do some searching for some of fishmans posts on the subject as well. I THINK I remember seeing someone using a powertrac with some type of rake designed to remove vegetation from ponds but I can't seem to locate it yet.

Here is a picture of the other spring pond on my property that is clearded.

Attachments

• pond.JPG
    pond.JPG
    701.6 KB · Views: 320
   / Clearing a lake? #8  
I would do the rake idea to get the bulk of it then fish friendly herbicide.

/ Clearing a lake? #9  
The Sacramento River in Northern California has a serious Hyacinth problem. They use some type of spray to kill the stuff. The problem is so serious that it is closing waterways to all boat traffic. There may be some agency in California that you can contact to get information on your Hyacinth problem if it is the same plant.
Farwell

/ Clearing a lake? #10  
Do you guys have Roundup Biactive over there? Its approved for use in sensitive environments such as dams, rivers and streams here in australia.

Its safe for fish/frogs etc and is effective in killing many aquatic weeds.

Another brand we have is Weedmaster Duo, its also approved for aquatic use.

Don't use regular roundup (or any of the other glyphosate based herbicides). The regular ones use a surfactant that is harmfull to fish, frogs and crustaceans.

Cran