Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Default Re: Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT
    As long as folks can't see what I have, they won't be tempted to steal..
    Or it may cause them to ask themswlves what does he have that's so valuable that he has to hide it?
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

That is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard of for fencing. It not only doesnt keep folks from seeing in, but doesnt do anything for keeping anything out. Total waste of money and time..
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

If you don't have a lot of rocks, you can sometimes get away with driving metal chainlink poles with a sledgehammer (you might have to cut off the top inch or two later to get a dome cap on to keep out bees). Then use brackets or tension bands to bolt pre-made wooden panels to the posts.

Another option would be to just use chainlink, if you find some used you can stitch lengths of fabric together by "corkscrewing" one of the fabric wires through both ends. If you don't need the fancy look of the top rail, you can run a length of the same wire they usually use at the base along the top, and use more of the wrap ties or hog rings to mount the fabric to the wire, and also to attach the wire to the line posts (don't try to wrap it around the posts). It can go very fast, I've easily done 250' in a weekend (I concreted the end posts with quick setting and wanted them to set some before I stretched the fabric). Just make sure you use double posts and angle or H-brace them together at the ends to resist the fabric tension. Then you can add privacy slats later as time and budget allow, or as you find them used.

There's an auto auction place near me that basically uses r-panel (metal barn siding) for their fence.

Tractor
    New Holland T1510

How about an ivy fence? Welded wire fencing, usually pretty cheap at the local grange supply, strung on wood posts. Plant english ivy at the base of the fence line and let it go. The ivy will climb the wire with little to no encouragement from you, its generally drought resistant, no watering or pruning. Privacy and security all in one.

Chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12