Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
I have property with about 400ft of road frontage. What do you think of using 3ft pickets 3ft off of ground. This would use half the amount of pickets, and only 2 runs of 2x4. I might could get by with using 1 run of square tubing instead of 2x4. My thinking is that driving down the road, your view would be blocked except for the little bit of exposed property beneath pickets. To view all of property, you would have to get out of vehicle and bend over to look under fence, and the top would still be at the 6ft level. If I let grass grow up to pickets right under fence, this would further block the view. Out of sight, out of mind. As long as folks can't see what I have, they won't be tempted to steal, ask to borrow,....

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #2  
Well if your going to go through the trouble to set post holes I would use the entire fence

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #3  
Why not use live materials like cedars?

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #4  
How about something plant-like? Forsythia is popular here, the state plants it in the center median to block headlights, etc. and it blooms in the spring.

Or, you could set up posts 10-15' on center, hang some galvanized wire mesh [like for concrete sidewalks] and plant some vines on it. Something that tends to retain its leaves or has a huge stem structure.

DON'T plant Multiflora Rose!

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #5  
Put up a few strands of wire and plant sume Kudzu,not only could they not see through it they can't move through it.

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #6  
I'm gonna use prarie grass that grows about 8' tall.

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #7  
AMP762 said:
Put up a few strands of wire and plant sume Kudzu,not only could they not see through it they can't move through it.

If what I've seen happen back where I grew up in the Gulf South is any indication, if you plant Kudzu, it won't be very long before not only could the thieves not get in, but you won't be able to get out!

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #8  
I don't see the point.
The pickets aren't the expensive part.
The posts are and the labor is.

Set the posts at 10' instead of 8' and use 2x10's instead of 2x8's, you'll take out about 20% of the posts and all the holes, concrete, etc.

use 1x6 pickets instead of 1x4, lot less nailing and fewer spaces

and, if this is far away from the house, just set every other picket. It won't be a complete wall, but stops most viewing.

the 3' idea is well, weird (although oddly brilliant:) ) and is not going to add to the value of your property.

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts
Thanks for the reply's so far guys. I was thinking (try to) of something that would be quick (unlike planting trees) and that would be appealing and functional. I may never get around to it, but was just wondering what some of the rest of you had done. I saw a guy install a garage door in a 6ft fence at the property line across his drive in the city at the alley. He would use remote to open/raise door in fence, drive in, close, then open garage door and pull in. Kept people out of his garage and he had full use of back yard, which I thought was pretty neat.

/ Cheap (?) privacy fence--your thoughts #10  
LOL I don't know man I am kind of into esthetics. I like pretty things but then I am in touch with my feminine side. I love fencing and gates. I think every property and owner create a theme with there property and it is an extension of there personality and there creativity. These are the personal choices we all make and nobody’s approval is required. I have a difficult time visualizing your idea but that doesn’t make it a bad one. I have had people describe thing to me and I was like how gross but then to see it materialize and think dam that was a great idea. So go and be creative if nothing else it will be original