How many trees per acre?

/ How many trees per acre? #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Been clearing five acres with goal of easier mowing with 5ft BH and was wondering when to stop. Presently down to about 100 trees per acre.

/ How many trees per acre? #2  
I am not sure there is a general rule of thumb for this but it's probably whatever you prefer. NO, better yet it's probably what you wife prefers.

/ How many trees per acre? #3  
For pine i'm told about 20' tree to tree. Clearing east to west will let more sun in and promote grassy growth. kje

/ How many trees per acre? #4  
Since your clearing for easier mowing, I'd think around 50 trees per acre would be plenty. Too many trees and your spending all your time working around them. Too few and you loose all your shade.

Eddie

/ How many trees per acre? #5  
ctpres said:
Been clearing five acres with goal of easier mowing with 5ft BH and was wondering when to stop. Presently down to about 100 trees per acre.

An acre is a square with about 209 foot sides. Spacing the trees at 20 feet gives about 100 trees per acre. That's about the spacing used in my old almond orchard (which has about 30 trees remaining). I use my riding mower in the orchard since there's less interference with the tree branches. My Kubota B7510HST has the fold-down ROPS and I suppose I could mow the orchard with my 4-ft KK BH, but I probably would have to prune some of the remaining lower branches if I wanted to mow close to the tree trunks. My orchard covers about 1/2 acre, so mowing with the riding mower is no big problem. With your 5 acres I probably would thin the trees to maybe 50-60 per acre to make maneuvering the tractor/BH easier.