100 yards from house to septic tank?

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #1  

tracecom

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST
I am thinking about locating my septic tank behind my (not yet built) pole barn so that I can have a bathroom in the pole barn. The pole barn will be about 100 yards from my (not yet built) house and there is sufficient fall between the house site and the pole barn site. Is there a problem with with this distance?

If not, I plan to have the water line and electrical drop go first to the pole barn and then run uphill (underground) to the house. I'll use my tractor to do most of the ditching for this.

Comments? Suggestions?

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #2  
I would call your environmental health department or whoever issues the permits for septic systems in your area and get their advice. My experience with them has been that they want to see what they want to see, and things are going to be difficult if they don't. But, I hasten to add, they have been very helpful when asked.

Hope this helps

Barry

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #3  
Sewer lines run allot farther in town without any issues. You need to make sure you maintain your slope the entire run and don't get too steep or shallow. I've been told it needs to be between 3 and 7 degrees. I always shoot for 5 degrees as it makes the math easier for me if I can.

The big concern is being able to clean out a clog if you get one. A hundred yards, or three hundred feet is too long for most snakes to get to a plug. Put some cleanouts in every hundred feet and you'll be fine.

Be sure the cleanouts are able to go in each direction!!!

If it's not a straight line, put cleanouts at the turns!!!!

Good luck,
Eddie

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #4  
I am probably wrong but I thought it was 1/4" drop per foot, I think that would equate to 75" or 6'3". Your building department or permit people can help you with that
Jim

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #5  
Just finished having mine pumped (routing maintenance every 5 years). Some things to thing about:

Location of tank. Be sure that the pumper has access to it. Mine is reachable from the drive but just barely. If it weren't, I don't know what could be done as there is no other access.

We also dug out and pumped my neighbors as he saw the pumper here and asked to have it done 'while you're in the area'. That one was put in in 1988 and never pumped. Problem. Lid and boss was caved in somewhat and the internal baffle displaced. Plastic tank. The pumper related some horror stories of plastic tanks that he found caved in and had to be replaced. Convinced me that any tank I might put in in the future will be concrete (mine is already).

Harry K

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #6  
Do yourself a favor and install a separate tank. A 300' run is going to give you nothing but problems. There's nothing worse than a plugged up septic line in the middle of the night in the dead of winter.

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #7  
On my last house the tank was 300' from the house and never was any problem. I had a constant slope from the house to the tank and it was trouble free. BTW here the building code call the piping from the house to the tank plumbing, the tank and tail lines are under septic system. If the tank was closer to the house and the tail line 300' away I would have had to install schedule 80 pipe from the tank to the leach field, but having thje tank at the leach field I only had to run schedule 40 from the house to the tank with a clean-out every 80 foot. It saved me several bucks to run the schedule 40 instead of the schedule 80. Later, Nat

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #8  
I too may be wrong, but I thought 1/4"/ ft. drop is correct for 2" and smaller. 3" and larger pipe only need 1/8"/ft.

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #9  
When I was installing systems in Ohio most counties would require 1/8 per foot drop on drain pipe (3 in.)

If you can afford to have at least 6 foot drop over 300 ft. I guess it would work.
Sure is a long way though.

Doug

/ 100 yards from house to septic tank? #10  
If there is a good slope I don't think you will have a problem. Mine is located about 250 ft. from the house and it has not been a problem. I'm in the hill country so there is a pretty good slope. Also they put in a clean out every 50 ft. Said is was a requirement. I cut off two of them and capped them below grade just because I didn't like the looks of it.