Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST

Default 100 yards from house to septic tank?

I am thinking about locating my septic tank behind my (not yet built) pole barn so that I can have a bathroom in the pole barn. The pole barn will be about 100 yards from my (not yet built) house and there is sufficient fall between the house site and the pole barn site. Is there a problem with with this distance?

If not, I plan to have the water line and electrical drop go first to the pole barn and then run uphill (underground) to the house. I'll use my tractor to do most of the ditching for this.

Comments? Suggestions?
    All things in moderation!

Tractor
    MF 1260

Default Re: 100 yards from house to septic tank?

I would call your environmental health department or whoever issues the permits for septic systems in your area and get their advice. My experience with them has been that they want to see what they want to see, and things are going to be difficult if they don't. But, I hasten to add, they have been very helpful when asked.

Hope this helps

Barry

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Sewer lines run allot farther in town without any issues. You need to make sure you maintain your slope the entire run and don't get too steep or shallow. I've been told it needs to be between 3 and 7 degrees. I always shoot for 5 degrees as it makes the math easier for me if I can.

The big concern is being able to clean out a clog if you get one. A hundred yards, or three hundred feet is too long for most snakes to get to a plug. Put some cleanouts in every hundred feet and you'll be fine.

Be sure the cleanouts are able to go in each direction!!!

If it's not a straight line, put cleanouts at the turns!!!!

Good luck,
    Eddie

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

I am probably wrong but I thought it was 1/4" drop per foot, I think that would equate to 75" or 6'3". Your building department or permit people can help you with that
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Elite Member

Just finished having mine pumped (routing maintenance every 5 years). Some things to thing about:

Location of tank. Be sure that the pumper has access to it. Mine is reachable from the drive but just barely. If it weren't, I don't know what could be done as there is no other access.

We also dug out and pumped my neighbors as he saw the pumper here and asked to have it done 'while you're in the area'. That one was put in in 1988 and never pumped. Problem. Lid and boss was caved in somewhat and the internal baffle displaced. Plastic tank. The pumper related some horror stories of plastic tanks that he found caved in and had to be replaced. Convinced me that any tank I might put in in the future will be concrete (mine is already).

Harry K

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Do yourself a favor and install a separate tank. A 300' run is going to give you nothing but problems. There's nothing worse than a plugged up septic line in the middle of the night in the dead of winter.

Platinum Member

On my last house the tank was 300' from the house and never was any problem. I had a constant slope from the house to the tank and it was trouble free. BTW here the building code call the piping from the house to the tank plumbing, the tank and tail lines are under septic system. If the tank was closer to the house and the tail line 300' away I would have had to install schedule 80 pipe from the tank to the leach field, but having thje tank at the leach field I only had to run schedule 40 from the house to the tank with a clean-out every 80 foot. It saved me several bucks to run the schedule 40 instead of the schedule 80. Later, Nat

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C

I too may be wrong, but I thought 1/4"/ ft. drop is correct for 2" and smaller. 3" and larger pipe only need 1/8"/ft.

Tractor
    Farmpro 30 horse

When I was installing systems in Ohio most counties would require 1/8 per foot drop on drain pipe (3 in.)

If you can afford to have at least 6 foot drop over 300 ft. I guess it would work.
    Sure is a long way though.

Doug

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST

If there is a good slope I don't think you will have a problem. Mine is located about 250 ft. from the house and it has not been a problem. I'm in the hill country so there is a pretty good slope. Also they put in a clean out every 50 ft. Said is was a requirement. I cut off two of them and capped them below grade just because I didn't like the looks of it.
    The "Humble" Guy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast