Top soil screen

/ Top soil screen #11  
I would like to run this idea by some of the fabricators that read these articles and get their opinions.

I was thinking about taking some angle iron and making a rock screen. I wanted to make a frame that would bolt on to the bottom of my box blade. I was going to take a piece of flat steel and weld to the front of the frame. Then take some chain link fence ( I read that in another link and it sounds good) and attatch it to the bottom my frame. I figure I can lift the box blade a short distance off of the ground with my 3PH and use the top link to angle it so that the flat stock on the front is touching the ground. My intent is pull that behind my tractor and pick up rocks out of the pasture that way. Has anyone ever tried this or have any suggestions

/ Top soil screen #12  
gemini5362 said:
I would like to run this idea by some of the fabricators that read these articles and get their opinions.

I will be building a Soil Screen over the winter. And have obtained for FREE some old Gates that have some OLD chain link. I say it is old becuase the Wire that the fence is woven from is almost 1/4" diameter. I plan on putting some support bars to keep the fence from strecthing / elongating under the weight of Heavy Clay / Rocks.

With your idea it sounds that it Should work, but I have a few questions.

Unless you have plans of putting a Support Frame under the Fence, I am afraid that after a few rocks are picked up in the "Basket" that the Fencing will quickly Elongate and Stretch, from the Weight and bouncing of the rocks.

Did you have an idea of some way to Dump the collected rocks quickly?

or

Are you going to Empty the "Basket" by hand?

Just a few thoughts, please post pics once completed.

/ Top soil screen #13  
I will probably be working on this project over winter also. My wife has pretty well informed me that I have to have the new garage finished before I do anything else that does not involve being employed for money. I.E. my job.

I am in the process of getting a hydraulic top link for my tractor. I had intended to see if I have enough travel with that to be able to lift the box blade and then use the top link to angle the box blade for dumping. I intended to make a frame out of angle for the fencing to set on so that stretching would not be a problem. Right now I am in the planning stages and that was why I posted this to see what problems some of the people on this forum would anticipate so maybe I can make it right the first time. I have noticed some extremely talented individuals that post here.

/ Top soil screen #14  
Several years ago somone posted a thread about a soil screener they built. They used a recycled lawn mower engine and an excentric cam on an arm to shake the screen. I think the screen was horizontal and suspened on each corner by chains hung from posts.